Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Way to Scrap After Removing the Drivetrain

I'm planning on parting out one of my Subaru for it's 4wd parts but am trying to figure out the best way to remove/scrap the frame after that's done.

Anyone with experience with scrapping cars without the drivetrain have any tips on how to do this?

Thanks

I hauled a hatch shell to the scrapper on my car trailer.

Totally stripped of everything useful (anything I could get off, came off, doors, fenders etc.) the shell was very light. I could actually weight the back down, and rock it back on the back jack stands (think wheelie.)

Backed the trailer under the front, dropped some 4x4 wood down for some skids, and winched it the rest of the way on.

Dan

You can also pull the driveline parts while its still on the trailer.Jack it up,have jack stands under it and use the impact to get what you need out from under it.BTW, its worth it to scrap the cat seperatly from the car.The sheetmetal might be 100 a ton, so for a stripped car you might get 50-70 bucks,but the cat by itself can bring $30-90 just by itself.

In PA they won't take a full car without the title so you have to cut it in half. I ended up cutting the roof off, and then cutting through the floor at the front of the front door and at the rear of the rear door. I then cut it down the middle. 7 pieces total. I was able to lift each piece. Took about an hour and 4 sawzall blades. I used a trailer but could have hauled it in the back of my pickup.

• Like 1

WA is kinda  difficult without a title if you are looking to get paid for it. there are lots of folks on CL that will take it for free and use their own loopholes. Ive had to wait for junk vehicle  affidavits before, dont waste your time it didnt change anything for me.

what issues do you have that you're asking - mobility, titling, price, trailer, towing???  what are you trying to do?

around here, if they have to come pick it up they won't pay you anything for it.  you only get paid if you can take it in.

winch it on a trailer.  all yards have forklifts and can off load it onsite.

swap out old used hubs with bad wheel bearings if you have any lying around if you need to keep it movable.

if you don't have far to go - get some of those wheel dollies for each wheel. lol

Edited by grossgary