Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brand New Subaru Owner - '84 GL AWD

It's an auto, sadly, but it's a beautiful car.

My name's Andrew, and I'm a producer on a feature length documentary being shot this August following four guys driving 5,500 miles from Seattle to NYC in an effort to prove that the "On the Road" ideal of cheap, meaningful adventure is still accessible in 2014.

OK enough of that though - this isn't about plugging a movie. I'm here to learn about my new car - all the ins and outs, and learn from the vast wealth of experience here on the board. I used a lot of info I found here when researching the GL, so thanks!

The car is in pristine condition - one owner for its entire lifespan, and the ORIGINAL owners manual is still in the glovebox, complete with all the inspections, etc. Only 106k on it, and even after sitting at the used car lot for a decent amount of time, the engine turned over instantly. I'm kind of in love right now. Haha

My only question right of the bat, is about the carb. I'm not very familiar with carbs, and I've been told that if we do a lot of altitude change - which we will - that I may have to jet it on the fly. Anyone have any experience to that end?

Here are a few pics:

1D741F5A-A1F9-47C3-B11C-4DE204B65FEB_8_z

1_zps4c6b7481.jpg

136_zps2c946997.jpg

83_zpsdbf6109f.jpg

Hi Andrew--welcome aboard.  Wow, that looks like a new car!  Good find.

Can't help you with the carb, but if you post questions in the Old Gen forum you'll probably get lots of response.

Good luck with your cross-country trip--sounds like fun.

• Like 1

That looks AWESOME!! Wish mine was an auto. 

I think you'll be fine. You may have to shift down some as you climb, but I think it will run. Perhaps some premium gas or octane boost would help at higher altitudes. 

If you come thru north platte Nebraska, let me know, and we can get coffee or something. 

John

• Like 1

That looks AWESOME!! Wish mine was an auto. 

I think you'll be fine. You may have to shift down some as you climb, but I think it will run. Perhaps some premium gas or octane boost would help at higher altitudes. 

If you come thru north platte Nebraska, let me know, and we can get coffee or something. 

John

Same goes for Kearney Nebraska :) Look me up and I'll give ya'll a couch to crash on for a night and breakfast :)

John, looking at the pics, that wiper switch I gave ya looks to be for this generation instead of our cars...

• Like 1

Welcome. Where is the time machine you used to get this wagon, and can I borrow it? Movie idea could be cool. May karma (I don't believe in luck) be on your side. And Don't worry about the carb if it runs good it will be fine. I use a fuel additive in my brat. Everyone has there own preference ams oil ect.  If you think its lean adjust the air/fuel mixture screw out 1/4-1/2 turn. Its at the base of the carb. Just don't get crazy. And if you sell this little jewel after this, I'm callin dibs :D

• Like 1

Wow, amazing find JustGo.

I've been over snoqualmie and stevens pass many times in my old 84GL, it's slow going but I've never had any real problems. I just had to sell mine, but it was the best car I have ever owned, slow but very capable.

Can I have more info on the documentary? Is the GL going to be the star car in the movie?

Wow, amazing find JustGo.

I've been over snoqualmie and stevens pass many times in my old 84GL, it's slow going but I've never had any real problems. I just had to sell mine, but it was the best car I have ever owned, slow but very capable.

Can I have more info on the documentary? Is the GL going to be the star car in the movie?

Thanks! We're incredibly excited about the car. There's a website for the documentary itself at www.justgofilm.com, and yes, the GL will actually be the ONLY car actually featured in the movie - we'll be going the whole 5,500 miles in it. 

Several folks have asked for a little more documentary info, and of course you can check out the website, but I wanted to explain it just a little bit further here -

In talking with friends (late 20-somethings in NYC) there seems to be a pervasive feeling that as a generation we don't have the type of accessibility to adventure that has existed in the past. Other generations - for better or worse - sort of had adventure built in. There were the wars. There were the 60s and civil rights. There wasn't facebook. There weren't cell phones. People hitch-hiked and worked odd jobs from coast to coast. But the Kerouac "On the Road" ideal legitimately is no longer possible for a host of reasons. The world has changed. What we're trying to do is bridge the gap and show young people (and old too, if it resonates) who are feeling trapped that you don't need a fat wallet and a 401k. We're trying to reclaim adventure for a generation that's letting it slip through its fingers while they tweet, text and tinder their way through life.

That's why we're going on this 5,500 mile journey through 20 states in our '84 Subaru GL, camping the entire way. We're going to prove that even in 2014, true adventure is not only accessible, but affordable. We aim to prove that fulfilling your own personal desires doesn't have to come at the expense of your money or your career. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Stop waiting for the right time, or enough money, or the perfect circumstances - they'll never come. Stop waiting and just go.

That's pretty much the spiel!

Edited by JustGo_GL

Man, you said it all right there. On the road is one of the best books i've ever read. Maybe somewhere on your journey you can hit up the old lincoln highway, (or at least some parts that still exist) as i'm sure you know it was the first paved road between NY and CA.

I live in Cheyenne, WY and travel to Laramie,WY quite a bit for work and from I-80 you can actually see the old paved ghost road off to the side. Pretty cool. Anyways love the GL! Can't wait to see the docu!

• Like 1