Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ suspension for EA81 car?

buktop3

I've searched for similar topics, but i couldn't find any.

So, I have a 1985 EA81 hatch that I'm about to lift with 4".

The problem is that it's almost impossible to find parts for EA81 here in Bulgaria (only oil/air filters nothing more). There are some for EA82, but they are almost twice as expensive than the EJ ones. Importing parts is not an option too.

My idea is to buy a Legacy, Impresa or Forester and swap everything i can from them on my hatch.

Is it doable? Any tips and tricks will be very helpfull. For start, wich car do i want from the 3 above?

Cheers :)

PS. Sorry for my english

post-46754-0-97671300-1401964291_thumb.jpg

I've searched for similar topics, but i couldn't find any.

So, I have a 1985 EA81 hatch that I'm about to lift with 4".

The problem is that it's almost impossible to find parts for EA81 here in Bulgaria (only oil/air filters nothing more). There are some for EA82, but they are almost twice as expensive than the EJ ones. Importing parts is not an option too.

My idea is to buy a Legacy, Impresa or Forester and swap everything i can from them on my hatch.

Is it doable? Any tips and tricks will be very helpfull. For start, wich car do i want from the 3 above?

Cheers :)

PS. Sorry for my english

Nice car! I don't think the EJ suspension swap will work as easily as planned. Parts are available for your car, shipping them to you might cost a lot lot though.

Yea......very little of it is going to work without extreme modification. The front suspension is pretty much similar in basic function only. The control arms are completely different, the struts are completely different, the track width is different so the axles and tie rods aren't the same length (not to mention different on both ends as well).

The rear suspension is completely different. Some of the simpler components can be used with modification....but not any more than something from a completely different make.

It's been done, there's a guy in the UK that put an Impreza drivetrain under a Brat....but it included fabricating entirely new mounting points, strut towers, tunnels, etc. etc. It was a huge undertaking, and he said he would not have done it that way again.

The lift is not the problem. The problem is finding parts for EA81. These cars are very rare here and finding new parts is most of the time impossible, unless i import them from somewhere wich is very expensive. :)

For EA82 i can still find some new parts.

I have a '92 Legacy that I am going to use for the engine, trans, and suspension for my '81 Hatch.  I have been planning it in my mind for years now.  In order to make the necessary modifications and fabrications you will need a welder.  You can figure out multiple ways of doing everything else, but a decent welder is essential.  If you have that, then you can do this.

I am essentially going to chop up the Legacy but keep the portions of the body/frame intact where the suspension attaches to the car so I can retain the factory orientation.  From that I will either build a custom sub-frame with the same orientation or weld a frame to the actual pieces of the Legacy and use the factory mounting points.  It's going to be a huge project.  In fact the reason I haven't done it yet is that I need a better shop for such a substantial project.  It will be absolutely worthy when it's done, but it's a massive undertaking.  I know you guys in Bulgaria are very capable problem solvers and can do this, it's more of a personal benefit/cost decision based on time, interest/dedication, and resources.  If you do it, make sure you have a second car to drive while you work on the Hatch.

Here's Pooparu's EJ'd Hatch:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2954641/1982-subaru-gl/

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Search for this.. build thread off wrx pickup.   I'm really wanting to do this too. In the world of cars there is no reason why one cant do it. The real question is do you have the time, space and money.  Once I fix my donor motor, (96 outback) Im setting out to accomplish this as well. I dont see why you cant figure out the lift geometry to build a central frame or corner assemblies to accept both assemblies and a rear modification to accept the rear struts and all the reinforcements. Yes it might be a 6" lift.....I havent put any numbers on paper yet. I just got a CLEAN 84 wagon (bad trans and carb) and I'm prepping the ground. After watching a tin lizzy shell get dropped on a custom frame and all the parts put together (it took 2 years, this fellow is now working on a custom 37 ford), I think anything is possible.....even by the backyard mechanic. My brat took over a year to ej and 5 speed swap from when I started the plan and buying parts.

Ferox, we should compare notes in the next few months.  I should have a preliminary draft done by the end of summer.

Yo'J

Edited by Hsoj

Search for this.. build thread off wrx pickup.   I'm really wanting to do this too. In the world of cars there is no reason why one cant do it. The real question is do you have the time, space and money.  Once I fix my donor motor, (96 outback) Im setting out to accomplish this as well. I dont see why you cant figure out the lift geometry to build a central frame or corner assemblies to accept both assemblies and a rear modification to accept the rear struts and all the reinforcements. Yes it might be a 6" lift.....I havent put any numbers on paper yet. I just got a CLEAN 84 wagon (bad trans and carb) and I'm prepping the ground. After watching a tin lizzy shell get dropped on a custom frame and all the parts put together (it took 2 years, this fellow is now working on a custom 37 ford), I think anything is possible.....even by the backyard mechanic. My brat took over a year to ej and 5 speed swap from when I started the plan and buying parts.

Ferox, we should compare notes in the next few months.  I should have a preliminary draft done by the end of summer.

Yo'J

Yeah, there is no reason it can't be done, but it's a major project for sure.  My plan is a 4 " lift, and it's all in my mind at the moment.  Unfortunately the first two things on my Hatch build project list are to sell current house and buy a smaller house with a bigger better shop.  Fortunately I can justify buying a new welder to complete steps 1 & 2 in my car project since I need to do some welding to get the house ready to sell.  I am interested to see what you come up with.  A clean '84 wagon sitting on an EJ equipment would be absolutely wicked.

Edited by ferox