Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 D/R Tranny Input stub steal replacement

My D/R is leaking fluid from the drivers side input stub. Probably from banging on the axle to to get it in the hub. Do I need to take the tranny out to replace the seals on the stub? would be nice not to have to yank the whole tranny. pics would be nice. any info is appreciated. 

No, you don't. The position on that big lock ring is critical though. Get this wrong and you can kill the trans in short order. Mark the location of the ring nut relative to the case. Take out the one retaining bolt and clip, count the turns out. Change the seal and the o-ring. Use electrical tape on the splines so the new seal survives the installation. Put it all back the same way you took it apart, done. No more terrible smell in the heater vents!  Enjoy a cold one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, if VERY careful, I've done it without removing the bearing retainer ring (the cog-looking ring by the stub shaft) with a right angle pick and a flat bladed screwdriver.

When installing, make sure you tap the new seal in at the same depth the old one came out. There is no backstop for it!

Honestly, if VERY careful, I've done it without removing the bearing retainer ring (the cog-looking ring by the stub shaft) with a right angle pick and a flat bladed screwdriver.

When installing, make sure you tap the new seal in at the same depth the old one came out. There is no backstop for it!

Let's clarify.........first off......It's the OUTPUT stub.....not the input. 

And removing the seal and driving a new one is NOT POSSIBLE without removing the retainer cup on 4wd and AWD 5spds, or on 4EATs,  they are driven in from the insid eof the cup.

You myst remove the cup.  Mark location adn count revolutions as you remove....make sure to get a new O-ring for around the retainer as well as a new seal.