Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with timing problem

81 hatch dl Im having trouble getting the timing right. I have pulled number one plug and confirmed tdc with the drinking straw and looking in the cylinder with a light.The timing marks line up on zero. I back the flywheel to 8* btdc and set the dizzy to point at the number one plug wire. When i start the car it runs really rough for a few seconds then dies. Its idling at 600 rpm. I can run the idle screw all the way in or all the way and anywhere in between and it makes no difference on the rpm. What the heck am i missing?

I only see one adjusting screw on the piece of crap hitachi. I have rolled the motor over a zillion times. The timing is set at 8* btdc, rotor pointing directly at #1 on the cap. I try and start the car it will run super rough for about 5 seconds revs to about 800 rpm, puffs black smoke out of the carb then dies. Anyone have any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Well i have had the carb rebuilt, new head gaskets, new intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires, cap rotor, coil, ignition pick up, adjusted valves, new fuel filter, new air filter. Adjusted timing. The car ran good. After all of that i decided to go for a drive. I drove the car all day let it sit for a couple hours then drove about three blocks and the car died and now will not start. Anyone have any ideas on where to go next?

..."and the car died"

Sometimes it helps to know how it died.  Suddenly, could mean an electrical problem or timing problem.  Slowly with a hurt dance, could mean a fuel related problem.  With a lot of noise, could mean a mechanical problem.

Ok. Tested fuel pump. There is 11.56 volts while cranking. I poured a little fuel into the carb and it tried to run. Is it possible for the fuel pump to be weak?

Doubtful.  low pressure pump if it's workin at all it's fine.

I am goin bet you got a clogged up carb.

Pull the top of carb (can do on motor)  and unscrew the 4 brass emulsion tubes visible after removing top and blow them out.  Rebuild kit is cheap so you can reseal for resassembly.

You say "had the carb rebuilt".......By who?  and did they ACTUALLY remove the emulsion tubes and clear them?

Too often "rebuilding" the carb is simply considered takin it apart, and reinstalling new seals........

Somethin isn't right if it's not getting fueled.

Carb taken off, taken apart, cleaned out soaked and put back together with new gaskets.

Do you know that the actual 4 small brass tubes were actually removed and blown out........not just soaked?

Not trying to harp on this but unless they were cleared positively....they are suspect.......

If nothing else pull the bowl drain plugs and see if the bowl is actually full of fuel......Perhaps the float is stuck closed?