Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy a/c electrical problem

97 legacy wag. the a/c is ice cold if i jump the clutch .38 degrees on a 70 degree day. 

i jumped the pressure switch.

i jumped the thermal switch on the compressor.

compressor will turn on for a few seconds and then stay off for minutes and turn on again for a second.

when i jump the compressor i am not turning on the fans so ac doesnt come out cold unless im going 20 mph plus.

help me make a clutch switch that also turns on the rad fans or help fix the actual problem.

also one of the motors that control the vent doors makes a clicking noise and the vent door wont move unless i push on it.(by gas pedal side of ac unit)idk if this is related?

may be thermal switch under dash?

The charge is probably too low. When you start driving the speed of the compressor increases and the evaporator core is freezing. There is a thermal switch on the evaporator to prevent damage due to icing. This is why the compressor turns off and stays off for long periods.

i checked the charge. added more.then  evacuated ,vacuum pump,and started from scratch. 30 low and 210 high side at the moment. its working perfect just wont stay on on its own. if i jump the fans also it will go down to 30 degrees at idle and ill turn off the compressor for a minute and the n back on.so it doesn freeze up

so it makes sence the thermal switch on the evap is bad?

That still seems low. Pretty sure the FSM specifies around 35 psi low side and 230-240 psi high. What is your outside temp?

If the HVAC is set to recirculate you will get evaporator cooling faster than normal, which will cycle the compressor in shorter intervals. Set it to outside air. Don't jump the compressor when charging because the compressor can overheat and burn the oil. Also the evaporator will freeze and not thaw properly, which will not help determine if the evap thermal switch is functioning.

i cant get a charge into it unless i jump the compressor cause it wont run long enough. but now there is another problem cause the low side hose started leaking:-(

i work in a junk yard and drive whatever is hanging around. i love this car and the only other thing i can drive is a Lincoln town car. but i gotta have A/C.

i played with the charge for hours. i dont think thats the problem. i had the high side up to 270 /low 40 at one point and nothing made a difference.outside temp around 70

the evap thermal switch , can i get to it ? also one blend door isnt working. makes a clicking sound and i have to give it a push to open/close. its the one near the gas pedal area.idk if that can be related.

Edited by auto2