Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It has 300,000 miles on it. A bad head gasket, rings are bad, water pump siezed and that's just the beginning.

Yep, that sounds bad enough.

Others know a lot more then me. Yes, I have read that you can install a 2.2 from earlier years..........prolly need the intake manifold from your old motor, and may need to change the exhaust manifold. Possibly some other issues to interface OBD1 to OBD2.

the 99 ej22 can not be replaced with an earlier one.

you need either a 99 - 00 ej22, legacy or impreza,

or a 00 - 03/4 ej25.

there are some tricks to making it work,

bolt on your intake, and cam / crank sprockets.

however, you could use an earlier ej22 block and bolt on your heads, intake, and cam / crank sprockets.

that would work.

99 legacy EJ22

99-01 impreza EJ22

the only way to use an older EJ22 is to bolt your existing heads to an older EJ22 block.  at 300,000 miles, i wouldn't do that without replacing the valve stem seals and grinding the valve.  a machine shop can easily do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Will a 2.2 from a car with an automic work in my car with a 5 speed

yes it will, transmission doesn't matter.  you can even swap ECU's between auto and manual Subaru's, doesn't matter.

things like year, make, model, and EGR are what matters.

Edited by grossgary

The motor is out of a 99 outback sport and going into a 99 legacy l

if the 99 Legacy is originally an EJ22 (which an L model would be if that's what the l stands for) - they are the same.

if on the other hand, the 99 legacy originally came with EJ25 - and was previously swapped with an EJ22 - then the 99 Outback Sport engine would not work.  Because a 99 EJ25 legacy  is Phase I so someone would have had to swap a Phase I 98 or earlier EJ22.  but 99 EJ22 legacy's are Phase II.