Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Towbar for brat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fredrik_Sweden

Fredrik_Sweden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hello

I have a Subaru brat year 1988 without towbar. Unfortunatlly i can not find anyone that sells new towbars for it here in sweden. Anyone know if there is any newer subaru models towbars that would fit the brat?

#2 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

No direct fit bars are available. Anything you use would have to be modified. Best and easiest would be custom built. That's what I did and it only took a few hours.

#3 we7x

we7x

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Issaquah

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

I do not know about the '88 BRAT, but on my '83 BRAT and two EA81 wagons I made a piece of structural pipe (Sched 80) with plates on the ends that would bolt up to the factory lash down (tow hook) mounts, under and behind the front bumper.

The pipe was the same diameter as the front beam suspension of an early VW Beetle.

VW Beetle towbars are still cheap and readily available, being used on a lot of Dune Buggys.

Rod J

issaquah, Wa

#4 ferp420

ferp420

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

i use a univeral reese tow bar with modded end pieces that mount to the lower tow hook/tie down points aswell also have used the vw tow bars hooked on to the sway bar alittle sketchy though but in a emergancy it works the universal tow bars dont look that strong but are used alot ive had many of them and never had one fail a custom tow bar would probly be stronger cheaper but would only work for the car it was made for the universal can be made to work on most any rig from vws to full sized ford trucks

#5 snacky

snacky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • birmingham, AL

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

so i have a tow bar on my 82 brat.  basically a receiver hitch that's a drop hitch.  the hitch receiver is located beneath oem bumper on the tow bar.  did this car come from the factory with this on or was it added later?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users