Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towbar for brat

• 1 month later...

I do not know about the '88 BRAT, but on my '83 BRAT and two EA81 wagons I made a piece of structural pipe (Sched 80) with plates on the ends that would bolt up to the factory lash down (tow hook) mounts, under and behind the front bumper.

The pipe was the same diameter as the front beam suspension of an early VW Beetle.

VW Beetle towbars are still cheap and readily available, being used on a lot of Dune Buggys.

Rod J

issaquah, Wa

i use a univeral reese tow bar with modded end pieces that mount to the lower tow hook/tie down points aswell also have used the vw tow bars hooked on to the sway bar alittle sketchy though but in a emergancy it works the universal tow bars dont look that strong but are used alot ive had many of them and never had one fail a custom tow bar would probly be stronger cheaper but would only work for the car it was made for the universal can be made to work on most any rig from vws to full sized ford trucks

so i have a tow bar on my 82 brat.  basically a receiver hitch that's a drop hitch.  the hitch receiver is located beneath oem bumper on the tow bar.  did this car come from the factory with this on or was it added later?