Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If it is all about getting it fixed for cheap..........go to a family owned muffler shop, not a franchise muffler shop, where they cut, bend, weld to fabricate a muffler system in place. Often, the shop will just cut out and replace a piece of bad pipe, or a bad muffler, and reuse the rest of the muffler system that is still in good shape. Over the years, I have saved a ton of money at Ralph's Muffler shop, here in Indy. Shops like this can be found in most major cities.

Just wondering...why do you want the un-equal over equal? EL headers give you more power, as where the UEL headers just give you mostly sound. If you want some good rumble put a magnaflow glass pack muffler on it. They sound great!! I have one on my 97 OBS. I also just added some EL headers and it sounds even better now and has more pull. But either way, check out sube4x4 on ebay. He makes really nice headers, EL or UEL, for a great price. Just coat them with some high heat header paint and they will last a lot longer than cheap knockoffs.

You will not notice a power difference between an UEL header and an ul header on an N/A car. It's only noticeable on a turbo car WITH a tune. Just putting a different muffler on won't give you rumble. It'll give you noise, but not rumble. If you want the subaru rumble, you need the UEL header.

• Like 1

El headers and a different muffler will just make it sound like every Honduh out there.

Also, be aware that "louder" is not always good. Having a loud muffler compete with the sound system in your car can be annoying. IMO, after a while, you wonder why you wanted to listen to your muffler, instead of your favorite tunes.

• Like 1