Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Colorado has updated the rules for collector plates

The old 1977 rule is gone. The new rules are as follows- 1975 and older are emissions exempt and qualify for collectors plates. Cars 32 years old or older back to 1976 qualify for the plates, and need emissions every 5 years. The cost for the 5 year collectors plates was equal to about 3 years registration for regular plates on one of my cars, plus I will save $60 by not having to run it through emmissions for 4 years.

Couple more notes on this-

Emissions is only done along the front range as far as I Know, West slopers and plains people are probably exempt altogether,

I think 1982 and older qualify right now, but check on that, as I don't know how they calculate the 32 year rule, but the point is every year from here on, a new model year will be eligible.

and last but probably most important-

YOU HAVE TO SIGN OFF THAT YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DRIVE MORE THAN 4500 MILES A YEAR IN THE CAR!

For the most part, this is good news for gen 1 and gen 2 owners who have been wanting collectors plates for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Per the EPA, vehicles over 25 years old do not require emissions. Even Cali follows that. We have similar collectors laws in Washington. They get all cranky if you're running your car around all the time. Of course, there are way too many people here abusing the collectors system to get out of paying higher tabs. I'd love to have on for the Brat, but I drive it too much. lol Can't stand to see it sit. :D

Skishop says "Per the EPA, vehicles over 25 years old do not require emissions" Not sure what you are getting at, EPA doesn't set the state laws on this, I'm just letting Colorado folks know what the new laws are here, and I am telling you that in the counties in Colorado where emissions are required, a car 25 years old has to pass emissions EVERY YEAR,  a car 32 years or older can get collectors plates and needs to pass emissions every 5 years. 75 and older are exempt from emissions altogether. This is the way it is now in the state of Colorado. No matter what the EPA or California says.

Edited by the sucker king

Actually, the EPA (Dept of Ecology) sets the minimum laws for emissions that the states have to follow. If the states want to enforce more strict laws, then they can. Strange that Colorado would when Cali is always been the tough rump roast on emissions. lol That's all I was getting at. When I lived there, that law wasn't in effect though it's been a number of years. I know Co. was always tough on the underhood inspection if you didn't pass the pipe test. I wasn't meaning to offend. :P

• Like 1

I have collector plates on my '84 right now in Colorado. About 4 years ago the law was 25 year old cars qualified so I got my plates just before the law changed. My car is now grandfathered in and can stay on collector plates as long as I own it.

Actually, the EPA (Dept of Ecology) sets the minimum laws for emissions that the states have to follow. If the states want to enforce more strict laws, then they can. Strange that Colorado would when Cali is always been the tough rump roast on emissions. lol That's all I was getting at. When I lived there, that law wasn't in effect though it's been a number of years. I know Co. was always tough on the underhood inspection if you didn't pass the pipe test. I wasn't meaning to offend. :P

no worries, no offense. and yes it seems like CO is a pain in the arse for the emmisions in the liberal counties. Im in Boulder County 

I have collector plates on my '84 right now in Colorado. About 4 years ago the law was 25 year old cars qualified so I got my plates just before the law changed. My car is now grandfathered in and can stay on collector plates as long as I own it.

This is interesting to me, I assume you did this in Aurora? Check this out- My 1980 just missed the 25 year rule before it changed, so it must have changed at a different time in your county, Aurora sits in three different counties, do you have to register in a certain county?

After the 25 year rule, they went to a 1977 cut-off for the collectors plates. I'm curious if you need to do emissions and how often. up here in Boulder county when it was the 25 year rule, you had to pass once and only once. then renew your plates every 5 years without re-running emissions ever again. if you got in on that, that's cool.

This is interesting to me, I assume you did this in Aurora? Check this out- My 1980 just missed the 25 year rule before it changed, so it must have changed at a different time in your county, Aurora sits in three different counties, do you have to register in a certain county?

After the 25 year rule, they went to a 1977 cut-off for the collectors plates. I'm curious if you need to do emissions and how often. up here in Boulder county when it was the 25 year rule, you had to pass once and only once. then renew your plates every 5 years without re-running emissions ever again. if you got in on that, that's cool.

It looks like it must of been almost 5 years ago as my plates expire in August of this year. I live in Arapahoe county if it makes a difference? It never needs another emission test again as long as I own it. I have two cars with collector plates!

120o1z8.jpg

Per the EPA, vehicles over 25 years old do not require emissions. Even Cali follows that. We have similar collectors laws in Washington. They get all cranky if you're running your car around all the time. Of course, there are way too many people here abusing the collectors system to get out of paying higher tabs. I'd love to have on for the Brat, but I drive it too much. lol Can't stand to see it sit. :D

CA, you still have to smog it as long as it was built after 1975. Ask me how I know.

I too lived in Saudi Aurora. lmao Didn't have to emission my 78 Brat when I lived there. So Cali did away with the 25 year rule too, huh. Not really a surprise as the tend to be the first to tighten things up then others follow suit. Rat b*stards! lol Greg, that Brat is sweet!

• 1 month later...