Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 87 RX Coupe :-)

That is one pretty special RX, There is something about earlier cars that makes them special and that is because most modern cars regardless of manufacturer all look like they came out of the same mould.

• Like 1

bxmw4xkc.jpg

I Really Like how Squared and Boxy our third Gen Leones (EA82) Looks along the rounded and Bubbled shaped cars of nowadays...

Series One EA82 RX used the Flap style Airflow Meter Series Two used the Hotwire style Airflow meter as well as Different ECU types including connectors only swappable complete.

Thank you for Clarifying, I was unsure about which Series he was writing about, because the EA82 RX is in fact, the Third Gen RX, and sometimes the word "Series" is used as "Generations" ...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

...There is something about earlier cars that makes them special and that is because most modern cars regardless of manufacturer all look like they came out of the same mould.

Let me Quote here, a post on the Subject, from 'nother Thread:

Sad but True...

Have you noticed that there has been happening some sort of "Standardization" worldwide, Now Computers all look alike, also Cellphones, TV's, etc ... even Cars; you can see -in example- that the Rear of a Ford sedan, looks pretty close to the Rear of a Kia sedan, etc... etc... etc... so Subaru is only part of such movement of worldwide Standardization, not exactly like ISO 9000, but almost everything in the market, looks alike their competitors.

Even my Sony Camera, is almost identical to my father's Samsung Camera... 

At least, Subaru preserves their Boxer Engines & Symmetrical All Wheel Drive as Flags.

I'm Missing the Frameless & noisy windows... Kind Regards.

That is one pretty special RX, There is something about earlier cars that makes them special and that is because most modern cars regardless of manufacturer all look like they came out of the same mould.

So true, and why I have very little interest in most to all new cars that have no shape and look like inflated balloon cars.

It's like symbolic of many things in life these days. A watered down world. 

• Like 1

Jono, sorry to disappoint you, but that's not an unmolested Series 1 engine bay, it's a Series 2. It has the Hotwire airflow meter & injector resistor pack ;)

And remember, Germany is now in Spring. I keep getting confused after being back down under after being up & over for so long.

Sull, can you come around to convince my wife of this? I'm trying to convince her about the benefits of the RX Turbo replica Touring Wagon I'm building... :P

Mind you, if it was a sedan, she might be more convinced.

• Like 1

Sull, can you come around to convince my wife of this? I'm trying to convince her about the benefits of the RX Turbo replica Touring Wagon I'm building... :P

Mind you, if it was a sedan, she might be more convinced.

I struggled to convince mine that buying a 22 year old car was not crazy ;-) But so far, its been reliable and good gas mileage and of course it crushed this past NY winter. Her van has had several problems and not economical on gas (but it fits lifestyle). So we both have cars that work for us. Age, in this case, does not matter. My Loyale is my favorite car (i've had many). At one point, I sold my old Saturn beater and bought an 82 Jag XJ-S which she is still mad at me for doing (I dont blame her but it was fun for a while).

Time without meaningful repair costs convinces ;-)

Guten Morgen,

Ich mochte  to know just how fast this beast can cruise at given that you have the high speed roads to allow you to drive it at speed, legally.

None of my EA82T cars have seen more than 20 kph over the maximum highway speed limit of 110 and only in a moment while overtaking.

Many years ago when I was not so concerned about speeding, or being caught rather,  my twin carb EA81 has cruised faster and comfortably more go under the pedal than any of my EA82T

Have you got any top speeds to give ???

I've had my '86 GL Turbo Coupe (no ground effects, spoiler, only part time D/R 4WD) past 100mph before, but I can't be certain how fast as the speedometer moves sluggishly at those speeds.

without knowing the full spec of a GL10 (cos Aus never got them), the RX's got rear disc brakes and a rear sway bar as standard. Aus RX turbo sedans had different springs & shocks.

And the grill is just the version they used on the hatchback/coupe. I've got one sitting at home I got as part of buying a full "ground effects kit" (front, side & rear skirts)

• 2 weeks later...

Drishne I take it what you mean "He knows from nothing" is that this special car is a surprise gift for your father he has absolutely no idea is coming his way until it suddenly appears.

You are pretty special to do something like that for your father, Sadly such family bonds are not as good and strong as once they were.

As posted by other members on the style of the Cars from earlier eras everything these days is Watered down including family values.

s that this special car is a surprise gift for your father he has

absolutely no idea is coming his way until it suddenly appears.

yes. sorry for my bad english.

now its my dads car... the surprise was great! it was his first subaru in 1988 and he never saw this model again in real life again.... till today :-)

• Like 3

Drischnie there is little wrong with your English and no need for apology.

I bet Your Fathers face almost Broke in Half his Smile would have been so Wide for not only would he have seen such a wonderful car from his younger days in such excellent condition he would also have recognised how lucky he was to have such a thoughtful daughter who somehow managed to hide such a Gleaming Gem from him till the right time, Older Cars in such nice condition can often be rarer than the Crown Jewels so to speak.

175eya Drischnie is his daughter and he is very lucky and obviously a good father to have brought up such a daughter, Lucky because sometimes no matter how good the parents the child does not end up so decent as in this case sadly.

• 1 month later...

Great story!! And you have a good eye for finding quality Subarus!

Europe has very strict automobile-inspections, usually people only see the upkeep cost, but this means the cars that stay on the road have been well-looked after! A shame that most Irish car owners just throw away a carwhen it becomes a bit worn. I have seen top-end Mercs here that sold new for €120,000 in 2006, now listed for less than €5,000 because of neglect and a throw away attitude.

I love seeing well preserved or high-mile and cared-for old cars!

• 6 months later...

I wish mine was this clean I had more rust and metal on my RX. 

This is just a taste of the amount of metal  added to mine. 

IMAG0943.jpg

I do not even see any rust on yours!?

My frame was even done In the front. i had to cut it out 

in huge chunks

IMAG0924.jpg

and weld in frame patches like this

IMAG0925.jpg

. You are a very lucky man I recommend you make sure you grind down and repaint any rust underneath so that this stuff 

does not happen to you.