Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ugh transmission woes. roll pin hole wollowed out.

so just made a trip a crossed the country in my lifted 86 gl10 with a d/r tranny. before I left I had swapped out an axle that had gone bad (under warranty from napa) so I got the replacement and was on my way. I made it from VA to Illinois and then the the whole cv joint pulled out on me. seems this axle was shorter than others I have bought. limped it to a shop where they left the outer axle stub in. out in in 4 hi and made it to Montana. just replaced the axle with an EMPI went to take it for a spin and the roll pin was sheared into two pieces. thought maybe it was just a bad rollpon but when I put in another one I noticed a lot of play at the DOJ. the rollpin hole seems to have gotten wider from the high speed axle fail and limp to the shop. is my tranny toast? how hard/expensive to replace the stub on the tranny that the DOJ slips onto?

thanks any body with any input.

Leebo

Sounds like perhaps the wrong axle was used. I am thinking a turbo 25 spline axle (inner DOJ) was used on the 23 spline D/R stub. With the correct axle installed you can put a nail in the roll pin hole and bend it over to get home. Something ELSE must be wrong... Good Luck.  I have a spare stub if you need it. It's always a good time to learn how to split a tranny  ;)

[EDIT] I just noticed that it is lifted. All that goes out the window if the geometry of the lift is incorrect. Details and pics needed.

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

ahh you're absolutely right. went back and checked my order and sure enough one of the axles has 25 splines. so weird when I search it says fits naturally aspirated and turbo which I know is wrong. this thing only has A 2" boss lift which has gone thru some half shafts but it's always something I interesting when I do the job. guess ill order right one this time. thanks for the help. even though my pride is hurt I'm pretty happy it was such a simple goof up

Apparently, the later model NA MPFI trans have 25 spline stubs. Still not believing of this.

The stub axle is removable. Do a search to confirm (as I've never had to do this), but the part around the stub is removable from the trans so this should be fixable relatively easily.

ahh you're absolutely right. went back and checked my order and sure enough one of the axles has 25 splines. so weird when I search it says fits naturally aspirated and turbo which I know is wrong. this thing only has A 2" boss lift which has gone thru some half shafts but it's always something I interesting when I do the job. guess ill order right one this time. thanks for the help. even though my pride is hurt I'm pretty happy it was such a simple goof up

• Like 1