Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Issues in 97 Impreza

I'm having troubles with the brake lights in my 97 Impreza wagon. The left brake light went out. It looked like the contact in the socket had overheated and melted back down into the socket, and lost contact with the bulb. I replaced the socket assembly (in fact the whole rear light combination, since its all on the one connector), but no dice. The right one is out now as well. I am getting 12 V to the socket contacts, but the bulbs aren't lighting up. All the tail lights and turn signals work.

However, the plot thickens, because in the last week, I lost the horn (blown fuse, replaced and still working), cruise control and dash illumination. This all points to a short...somewhere. I am getting the service manual (ie wiring diagrams) as I type this, but does anyone have any suggestions?

I would start by checking the brake light switch with a test light. If you get a good light indication there then you may have to check the flasher circuit. I think the circuit goes through that. You should also check to see if the hazard warning lights are working ok.

It assume the socket melted beause of a poor connection in the socket. Since the other lights seem to work it sounds like the grounding to the lights is ok.