Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch/Transmission probem(s)

When I bought this Brat, the guys who put it together to sell were likehilbillies or something, and they obviously thought that the solution to everything was Zip ties and sheet metal screws, but they did make a point of saying that they replaced the clutch. - For some reason I tend to belive them on that. However, no matter how I adjust the clutch, either it so tight that I can;t get it into gear without grinding, or at the other end of the spectrum of adjustment, the clutch starts slipping badly above some speeds.

Funny thing is that it has never once slipped taking of in 1st gear, or right after putting it into 2nd gear - only half-way through 2nd gear does it start slipping.

I think the clutch cable is not stock, and might be something improvised, and they used some genaric hardware store key pin to link it to the pedal assembly. I have a stock clutch cable, but not that proper pin for the pedal yet.

Could this be caused by a clutch cable that is not stock and too long or short in its housing or something?

Could this be anything but but a bad clutch disk?!?

I know that replacing the clutch disk in one of these is about as easy as you could hope, compared to most vehicles, but I am really not in a position to do that job for some time to come, so I have my fingers crossed!

- any Ideas?

Mine slipped in 2006 when the clutch was going bad. Either they didn't replace the clutch as they said or they did replace it either with a used junk yard part with no meat or perhaps they did replace it but so long ago it hasn't got any meat left. If they replaced it 5 years ago and said they "replaced it" then technically they didn't lie,I guess. Maybe they forgot to mention the burnouts and abuse they gave it after they replaced it.

In my experience the beginning of slipping is more related to rpm rather than speed. On mine it would happen if I went above 60mph aggressively accelerating. When you take off in first gear you aren't going 3000 rpm like you would be in higher gears.

Replace the clutch or learn to drive like a little old lady.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Sounds like the flywheel face was surfaced without re-stepping the mounting edge.

Pull flywheel and re-cut the step to stock  .830"    or.......cut it to XT6 specs for a bit more clamp.....815"

If the step is outside of those #s that's the issue.

Oh yeah also could be bending/cracking clutch fork happens sometimes.  Pull the boot around the fork and look down inside.

• 5 weeks later...