Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 "carb" ignition timing

Just checked the ignition timng on my EA82M which is a bit different. Runs carb block, mpfi heads and intake to ease a propane only fuel set up. Not sure what I timed it at on install, but have since done belts and just driven it.

I sort of cringe when people say thy have set timing to yet omit the speed at which set, so ....

@750 - idles too slow

@ 800 rpm is just right when at op temp 92C when 1 fan cut in, down to 72 when it switched off by the TFS132 switch

Saw 18 DBTDC, until I disconnected and plugged vac port to dizzy, so once speed altered again with air bleed adjust on mpfi throttle body I got it at just under 16 DBTDC @ 800rpm.

I read some have set their EA82 to 20 deg, but think that is your baseline with mpfi set ups ?

I reckon if i advance things anymore, i am probably going to have to drop it again when towing or summer hills come along again.

Will just leave it me thinks, getting good fuel economy, drive feels OK, just got no wheel chirp on take off :(

Dear Jono,

My 1985 EA82 "BumbleBeast" was designed to be set at 8º (+/- 2º) according to the under-the-hood sticker; However, since I installed a Weber Carb on it, it runs Flawlessly with ignition timing set at 20º like the EFi EA82's are designed to be set.

So, since your EA82 is somehow, an "Hybrid" Motor, done with parts from the Carb and EFi setups, and runs on Propane, I believe it should work good at 20º, but it could need many trial and error tests before you're completely satisfied.

Kind Regards.

thanks Mr Jesz, but is one of us misunderstanding the mpfi 20 degree setting ?

Is it not the mpfi gets set at 20 with some plugs jumpered and that once set the ecu takes over and if checked with a timing light will not actually be at 20 at idle once ecu has control ??

And the difference between mpfi and carb is a vac can at least and internal mechanisms for advance.

OK, call me lazy or weak, I'd betteer try 20 now :)

Yes, more advanced timing gives more peppier acceleration... But there is a Limit to be Safe.

In my case, I tried 22º but the Lower octane fuels on Honduras,

made the Valves Noisy when accelerated from Low RPM's / Slow Driving.

What are the Octane Values on Propane?

Kind Regards.

Wih the spfi and mpfi models you need to connect two green plugs at the firewall to have the ecu hold the timing while checking with a light. If you don't have the MPFI or SPFI ecu and/or connectors, I'm not sure how you would do this.

which is why I suspect when US guys say they set it to 20, it is just a reference for ECU to know where to go from there. So, my post probably only applies to non mpfi/spfi, yet, i suppose if those were also n propane, the base setting would just get a bigger number to start with and go from there.

I'm still thinking about using the series 1 dizzy, coil, knock sensor and knock box and winding things up a bit more , let the knockbox do its job :)

No green connectors - simple - old skool :P

octane ratings between us and aus are different am sure

our regular is 91 RON, then maybe some had 92 but 95 was then considered a premium PULP, sort of gone by wayside at SHELL who now only have 98 Premium, may have at rare times had 100 RON. Propane butane mix for road not bbq was at 109RON, rumoure to have dropped a bit. Is quieter at 22 degrees

Edited by jono