Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifts vs CV couplings

Denem

I've an 86 Brat w/4" lift no real issues..except,  last year at 105K the right CV boot disintegrated. So I replaced both axles.  Now at 108K my new left joint is complaining.  I am wondering if the lift issue is contributing.  it seems wrong to even think it would. any ideas, insights, or experiences?

Thanx

Denem

Yea probably the crappy remaned axles,but does your car have any suspension lift because a suspension lifted EA81 likes to eat axles like candy.mmmm tasty tasty candy.Do you know if the 4" lift dropped the struts and crossmember down equally or was the crossmember not dropped the same as the struts?

Thanx for the prompt replies. I didn't do the lift, but from what I can see there are are what appears to be aluminum disks mounted at upper mounting spaces for the struts and metal blocks at the cross-member and various body points. The steering column was extended but that is the only evidence of change to the structure.  From what I observe only the body was moved.  That prompts my concerns.  I have been to several Subaru Dealerships and it is not possible to procure any OEM parts.  Is there a newer model that utilizes those axles? And lastly to which aftermarket firm should I look for replace,men.

Thanx for your time!

Can you measure the blocks at the crossmember?If they are 4" than its just crappy axles, and the fix is to find some good used ones from a junkyard because the remans are crap.If the blocks are 3" or less than you will eat axles like crazy unless you drop the crossmember the full 4" or Install EA82 axles/control arms/struts etc.Of the two options I would go with option 2 because EA82 suspension is just better than EA81 and can tolerate suspension lifts without failing as fast.