Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifts vs CV couplings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Denem

Denem

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • La Grange, IL USA

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

I've an 86 Brat w/4" lift no real issues..except,  last year at 105K the right CV boot disintegrated. So I replaced both axles.  Now at 108K my new left joint is complaining.  I am wondering if the lift issue is contributing.  it seems wrong to even think it would. any ideas, insights, or experiences?

Thanx

Denem

#2 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,448 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

A lot of it is to blame on crappy aftermarket axles.

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,391 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

Yea probably the crappy remaned axles,but does your car have any suspension lift because a suspension lifted EA81 likes to eat axles like candy.mmmm tasty tasty candy.Do you know if the 4" lift dropped the struts and crossmember down equally or was the crossmember not dropped the same as the struts?

#4 Denem

Denem

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • La Grange, IL USA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thanx for the prompt replies. I didn't do the lift, but from what I can see there are are what appears to be aluminum disks mounted at upper mounting spaces for the struts and metal blocks at the cross-member and various body points. The steering column was extended but that is the only evidence of change to the structure.  From what I observe only the body was moved.  That prompts my concerns.  I have been to several Subaru Dealerships and it is not possible to procure any OEM parts.  Is there a newer model that utilizes those axles? And lastly to which aftermarket firm should I look for replace,men.

Thanx for your time!

#5 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,391 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:22 AM

Can you measure the blocks at the crossmember?If they are 4" than its just crappy axles, and the fix is to find some good used ones from a junkyard because the remans are crap.If the blocks are 3" or less than you will eat axles like crazy unless you drop the crossmember the full 4" or Install EA82 axles/control arms/struts etc.Of the two options I would go with option 2 because EA82 suspension is just better than EA81 and can tolerate suspension lifts without failing as fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users