Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel pump pics and prices and octane rating

Thought to post in here as current with discussion on timing and fuel ratings on EA82.

Feel free to contribute

I am yet to snap one of a 98 bowser

So, here is one close up of a bowser offering 91 and 95 RON liquids in eastern Australia June 2014

DSC06090_zpsd2880e30.jpg

and the prices to go with it

DSC06092_zps431f8907.jpg

Edited by jono

our pricing is based on Singapore fuel prices - each year we have fewer refineries, not sure where our crude comes from.

Our gallon is 4.546 litres !

98 octane was 1.70 last night, my EA82T returned 7.8 litres per 100km on it, highway use, 95 gave 10

our dollar was buying 94c US last night, used to be dollar buy 50c US some years back, 8 months ago almost 110c !

minimum wage is about A$13 an hour

Edited by jono

Even then, that's 91 and 95 RON. Most of the pumps around here (if not most of the states) the octane is R+M/2 a.k.a AKI and 85 AKI is about (90 RON)

So you've got about the same as the states get. 87 AKI and 91 AKI. The average right now is ABOUT USD $3.80/ USgal and most suppliers are also running E10 which is not that great anyway (they are testing E15 in some areas and a few mistaken fuel stations were dispensing the E15 as E10 and E15 is NOT recommended for non-OBDII cars.)

Are they pumping E10 down under? or is it closer to E5 or E0?

What we all need to calculate is the "Cost per mile driven"

Lets say we average 25 mpg at $4.00 per gal tank is about 15 gallons 

therefore $60.00 per fillup gives approximately 360 miles

360 miles / 60.00 dollars = 6 miles per dollar driven (on average)

Then we have to see the difference that the higher Octane fuel gives us in out mpg,

Then we can SEE the actual cost of gas.

........  So let us all collect data and truly see which octane gives us the most Value.

uhuh... E10 is the other fuel available. We also had Tx until the customs and tax guys worked out it was being added to fuel somewhere along the supply chain - I think it was toluene that had no taxes on it, so they taxed it and addition stopped. Some people found paint stripping after a fill spill - we don't have your vapour catchment system on the nozzles either, and I still suspect tanks have breathers sneaking up to vent in the big sign posts :(

E85 is also at  select sites for some of our locally made cars. Touring car sedan races use E85 and a lot of it too !

Here's my data from the last fill-up:

11.2 US gal of 87 AKI @$3.85 = $43.12

$43.12 / 278 miles= $0.16/mile (rounded up)

You all are on your own for unit conversions ;)

But I agree with Silas about "ducats for distance" as a standard. 

• Like 1