Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 rebuild kits?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tman1058

Tman1058

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Potlatch Idaho

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

One of my dad's buddies has an '88 gl wagon for sale that will need rebuilt, he only wants $250 for it so I'm highly considering buying it, but does anyone know where I could get a QUALITY rebuild kit for a REASONABLE price?
And while I'm asking, will factory fuel injection and a set of delta cams work together without problems?
Thank you ahead of time.
-Tom

#2 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Awesome deal!

How extensive of a rebuild are you looking at?

#3 Tman1058

Tman1058

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Potlatch Idaho

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Hopefully pistons, rods, all bearings and gaskets and probably valve springs. As it sits it runs but I'm told if you pour oil in, it pours right out from an unknown place. And it's got 337k on the clock, so the more new parts the better.

#4 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 640 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

I could only find genuine valve springs for EA82

#5 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

For that kind of money you are looking for all those parts you'd be better off looking for another motor.

When you get into the bottom end of these is when the $$$ start really racking up.

And not to mention the time you would have to input, maybe you have more time than I though.

I know if you're in the Midwest like I'm these cars are not that popular and hard to come by. If you look hard enough you'll find one though. A 2.2 out of a 96 outback or older legacy would be perfect those are rock solid engines.

#6 Tman1058

Tman1058

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Potlatch Idaho

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

Anyone know anything about these?http://m.ebay.com/it...7320?nav=SEARCH

#7 mm88swrt

mm88swrt

oddball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • clatskanie, OR

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

Anyone know anything about these?http://m.ebay.com/it...7320?nav=SEARCH

Never seen this one. But i would call them to make sure its everything you need. I wouldnt bother replacing rods, they are forged. Pistons are the weak spot. I got a set of wiseco pistons in my ea82t. Its going to be spendy building that little motor that in depth. With parts and machine work to be done. There are some vw springs out there that are stiffer.

#8 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

It's not that expensive to rebuild the engine if you assemble it yourself. $300 for the kit. Pistons, rings, oil pump, bearings, lifters (HLAs)  and gaskets. $60 to turn the crank, $10/hole to bore it ($40). Maybe $200 to have the heads done and of course, you'll want a new water pump, timing belts, tensioner and pulleys. Should be about $700 roughly though it's been a few years since I've done one. If the rest of the car is in good shape, it'd be worth it. If not, like Dinky said, find another one.

#9 AWD J3wman

AWD J3wman

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Richfield, MN

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

I would look into an EJ18 or EJ22 swap from a 90s era impreza. it might be more economical.

#10 Tman1058

Tman1058

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Potlatch Idaho

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Not trying to b*tch at anyone, but every time i've asked something about rebuilding/improving or other similar topics an ea82, about 1/3 of the response say "ej swap". If I wanted to ej swap that's what I'd be asking about. Now I'm asking if anyone can recommend an ea82 rebuild kit, if you can't provide input on the question, don't say something completely different just to answer.

Hope it didn't come off that I'm pissed, I just get tired of reading "ej swap", when I didn't ask about it.

Thanks

#11 Ibreakstuff

Ibreakstuff

USMB Regular

• Gold Subscribers
  • 497 posts
  • NorCal Transplant

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Never heard of the brand safety gaskets, not sure how good that kit would be. I would ask where they source the parts for the kit.

I am building several ea82t motors at the moment, all with forged pistons. My recommendation would be to take the motor apart and do an inspection before buying parts or moving ahead with that motor. You will need to know how worn or out of round the cylinders are before ordering pistons. Also depending on how/why the motor needs a rebuild, the crankshaft and rods could have wear/damage from spun/worn bearings. Excessive cylinder wear and damaged crank/rod journals can make even the basic diy sketchy/risky/expensive. That said.. if you have the tools and know how or know a good shop, there is no reason not to go for it. Even if that motor is toast, pick n pull motors can be had with 1 year warranty for cheap (look for 50% day).

As mentioned.. the stock forged rods are usually fine, place them on a flat surface (precision plate) and you can easily tell if they are twisted at all. The concern would be the big end race and how jacked up is it from the old bearing. There are no aftermarket rods that I know of anyways, unless custom (117mm c2c).

Stay EA if you are inclined, shun the non-believers!

Edited by Ibreakstuff, 18 June 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#12 Ibreakstuff

Ibreakstuff

USMB Regular

• Gold Subscribers
  • 497 posts
  • NorCal Transplant

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

ram performance has flat top forged pistons also, I think 9-9.5:1:

http://www.ramengines.com/

#13 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

The stock EA82 SPFI pistons are 9.5:1. Rods are still available, or were a couple years back when I did my XT GL10 motor. Had to replace the crank and rods thanks to my lead foot driving and old rod bearings. Whoopsie! lol I will always stay EA81, rebuild stock EA82's when necessary, but I would never mod and EA82. They're a great every day motor providing you monitor your cooling system religiously, but there are too many poor design choices to make them stout enough to withstand modding without serious upgrades costing more than lightly modding and EJ and swapping. I am figuring in driving style of having a modded motor based on you built it to pound, and you will. If you don't pound it, it'll survive, but not as long as an EJ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users