Ultimate Subaru Message Board

felpro kit contents

Hi there,

I am doing the head gaskets and out on my ea82. I bought the felpro gasket kit 

Fel-Pro HS9392PT-2 HEAD SET

I recognize about half the parts that came in the kit and am scratching my head on the rest. I assumed I'd get a detailed description with the package but alas, there was none. I have also been unable to find detailed info online. maybe Im just handicapped at googling...

Has anyone used this kit or can direct me to a detailed list of all the components? Maybe this has already been covered in the forums but I wasn't able to find anything as detailed as I hoped.

Thanks in advance!

tons of us have used those kits.  use what you need and throw the rest away.

all the basics will be obvious as you're reassembling - head gaskets, valve gaskets, valve cover grommets, intake manifold gasket, exhaust gasket, valve stem seals, EGR gasket, throttle body, etc. 

it'll probably have gaskets for other engines/options - like turbo engines i bet list the same kit?

get the cam carrier oring (x 2) from Subaru - it's metal reinforced, don't install a regular oring there.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

Yea the problem is I'm not very experienced and things that might be obvious to the veterans out there aren't so obvious to me. For example, I discovered this morning that I put the cam towers on without the cam tower o-rings  :banghead: . (At least this gives me an opportunity to go with subaru o-rings here rather than the felpro as you suggested). So a list itemizing the parts of the kit would help me out, even if I do end up dumping some of the parts. Surely such a list must exist so somebody knows what to put into the box. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. So after a series of emails I was able to get this out of autoparts zilla.

It sounds like lots of people have/will use this kit so hopefully this will be useful to someone doing an ea82 in the future.

Fel-Pro HS9392PT2 Head Set includes:

Cylinder head gaskets
Intake manifold gaskets
Intake manifold plenum gasket
Exhaust manifold gaskets
Valve cover gaskets
Valve cover grommet
Spark plug tube seals
Push rod cover gaskets
Push rod cover grommets
Camshaft oil seals (OHC)
Valve stem seals
Water outlet gasket
Thermostat housing gasket
Distributor mounting gasket
Air cleaner gasket
Carburetor mounting gasket
TBI mounting gasket
Throttle body mounting gasket
Fuel injector seals
Turbocharger mounting gasket
Supercharger mounting gasket
Air bypass gasket
Air pump gaskets
Exhaust flange gaskets
Heat riser gasket
Choke tube gasket
EGR valve gaskets

Yeah, the kit basically covers all the various options that model could have had, aka TBI or carb, they use different gaskets. If you intend on owning other soobs you might want to hold onto the spares. I recently bought a FI system and needed the gaskets for that. So i saved some money. like grossgary said, whatever you take off should give you all the info you need for what gaskets/seals are supposed to go where. The left overs is trash to some, gold to other like myself... penny pinching car hoarders.  :D

• Like 1

Ok. So after a series of emails I was able to get this out of autoparts zilla.

It sounds like lots of people have/will use this kit so hopefully this will be useful to someone doing an ea82 in the future.

Fel-Pro HS9392PT2 Head Set includes:

Cylinder head gaskets

Intake manifold gaskets

Intake manifold plenum gasket

Exhaust manifold gaskets

Valve cover gaskets

Valve cover grommet

Spark plug tube seals

Push rod cover gaskets

Push rod cover grommets

Camshaft oil seals (OHC)

Valve stem seals

Water outlet gasket

Thermostat housing gasket

Distributor mounting gasket

Air cleaner gasket

Carburetor mounting gasket

TBI mounting gasket

Throttle body mounting gasket

Fuel injector seals

Turbocharger mounting gasket

Supercharger mounting gasket

Air bypass gasket

Air pump gaskets

Exhaust flange gaskets[/color]

Heat riser gasket

Choke tube gasket

EGR valve gaskets

Items in red are not included in that kit.........and some are not even applicable to that engine....(sparkplug tube gaskets, air pump gasket, choke tube gasket, etc....)

Edited by Gloyale

You get parts fro spfi, carm, MPFI, MPFI spider (xt) and also grommets and o-rings if you split the block. Some of the other o-rings are for the distributor shaft, and the oil puckup tube, fuel injectors. Don't bother with some of the gaskets if it is something you didn't take off, say a throttle body or injector. Save them for when you ever do.

OP, Joe... take your intake gaskets down to the Subaru dealer in town.   Compare them to the Subaru OEM intake gaskets.   You will see why not to use them.

Don't forget your cam seals and orings at the dealer.  Looks like the kit has the cam seals... there's an oring behind the seal.  Also, the reinforced oring inside the cam case is dealer item.

Thanks rdweninger, I've actually already completed the job a couple weeks ago and broke in the motor with a 2100 mile road trip last week. :headbang:  I just posted the reply I got from autopartszilla so the part list could be available to anyone else who is mystified by a box full of undocumented parts ha. Although, "use what you need and ditch the rest" is good practical advice, its seems crazy to me that the list of parts is such an elusive creature. I'm glad people are interested in the post, and some corrections to the parts list have been made. It seems that even the part list I finally squeezed out of autopartszilla is still questionable hah. But hopefully it still represents a useful contribution to the available pool of knowledge here on the board. 

I did get the cam tower o-ring from subaru but I used the felpro intake gaskets. Hopefully that won't bite me in the &^% later but at least that one is easy to get to...