Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CV Joint Preference for 86 BRAT GL?

CV joint brat 1986

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff D.

Jeff D.

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Bend, Oregon

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Seems like I go though CV joints like none other in my 86 BRAT.  Does anyone have intel regarding higher-end/better quality CV joints than the low-end OE replacements?

Cheers,

Jeff

#2 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

Have you checked your trans and motor mounts?

#3 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

Are your boots exploding and then the joint goes out or is the joint going first?

Boots failing has been the demise for 3 out of 4 for me in the past 9 months.

#4 Jeff D.

Jeff D.

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Bend, Oregon

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

@Dinky26-  Transmission and motor mounts are good…  The joints always go 1st for me, whereas the boots stay intact.

#5 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

I bought new Empi axles 2-3 years ago. They have held up longer than any remanufactured axles I have ever purchased.

#6 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

I bought new Empi axles 2-3 years ago. They have held up longer than any remanufactured axles I have ever purchased.

If they were still Empi made this would be good today. Not so much are they still Empi now.

Sunday I was in need of having a replacement, initially I was intending on going Empi then I remember last year they sold out so I went with A1 Cardone remanned, hopefully I won't regret going with this one.

#7 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Empi doesn't make axles for Subaru's anymore? Or have they gone to another manufacture that makes them cheaper?

#8 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

There was a thread here somewhere that talked more about Empi selling to another company, can't find it now of course, this one talks about it a little.

http://www.ultimates...needed/?hl=empi

#9 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

If they were still Empi made this would be good today. Not so much are they still Empi now.

Sunday I was in need of having a replacement, initially I was intending on going Empi then I remember last year they sold out so I went with A1 Cardone remanned, hopefully I won't regret going with this one.

Keep an eye on that axle.

Everyone carries A1 Cardone, and I've had to warranty their axles off the shelf before even getting them out the door.

Twitch

PS: The best bet I've seen so far is to go with brand new axles, such as the ones carried by World Pac.

#10 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

Very well, thanks Twitch, I've been trying to find something decent.

Everyone carries A1 Cardone, and I've had to warranty their axles off the shelf before even getting them out the door.

Twitch

PS: The best bet I've seen so far is to go with brand new axles, such as the ones carried by World Pac.

#11 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

Twitch

Where can I buy World PAC axles from? Having problems finding a place to buy them from.

#12 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Since mine are 2-3 years old maybe I have the good ones, or have been so far. I have had this Brat 17 years now, I would guess I installed or rebooted 20 axles. Some came bad right out of the box and returned immediately.  Got pretty cotton pickin fast at it too! Does get old after all those years. Which I did change motor/transmission mounts at the same time I installed the Empi axles.

#13 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:06 AM

Where can I buy World PAC axles from? Having problems finding a place to buy them from.

Aftermarket Import Shops often feature World Pac (especially German shops), and now you may be able to acquire those parts from Car Quest or Advance Auto, as Advance bought Car Quest/World Pac.

Twitch

#14 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

Thanks Twitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users