Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 delta cams?

For those running delta cams, can you please try to answer some questions for me?

First off what's the cost of a set (approximately)?

Second what kind of grinds do they offer and how do they differ from one another?

Third will they work with spfi?

I'm looking into these for an off roader so any advice is appreciated.

Please nobody say "ej swap". I've heard it too much, I realize the advantages, but do not wish to swap.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

I won't say "ej it", but if your gonna offroad it put an ea81 in there and run the ea82 spfi. LOTS of low end torque, MUCH more reliable, easier to work on, and amazing mpg's(35+). Its also a cheap swap.

If your gonna get a cam regrind, don't waste the time and money trying to improve an ea82, put the effort into something worth building on. However, if you want to give your money to delta, give them a call.

Josh

I would NOT do it. The valve train will always be noisy, it WILL NOT work properly (at least to my satisfaction) with the SPFI. You can not tune the issues out either, as in it will never idle correctly, low end hesitations cold, ect.  Use a stock cam and look at tire size, engine mechanical condition, gearing, power:weight ratio, ect. There are lots of other avenues to explore for more power besides the cams. Have fun and post pictures please!