Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First HLA swap - what do I need to know?

Finished up the EJ22 swap on the 99 Outback 2 days ago. It was a pick n pull motor, so a bit of a gamble, but it started right up. smoothed out pretty quick. But it's got quite the tap to it. Was worried about rod knock but the more I research, the more it sounds like collapsed HLAs.

Motor is a 95 2.2 out of a legacy. Prior history unknown except it sat in the Stockton CA heat with the engine drained of oil for a while. Gave it a new timing belt and fresh oil. Took it for a drive and the engine performs fine but has that annoying tapping.

I found this write up which was very helpful.

http://lovehorsepower.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43:valve-lash-adjuster-replacement&catid=10:subaru-legacy&Itemid=59

But my remaining questions are -

Do the HLAs pop out or screw out?

What is the torque spec for the rocker assembly bolts?

Any difference between the intake/exhaust side HLAs?

Any other tips or tricks from those of you who have done this before?

Run it. In 50 miles or less the tapping is going to go away.  HLA's just need primed and air bubbles pushed out.

They are LOUD after having sat for awhile, they sound ominous as you describe, "is that rod knock!?!"

That being said, they're easily replaced if need by, just drop in and pull out, though some get stuck just due to time.

• Like 1

Congratulations, Adventure!  You might want to consider throwing a small bottle of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil!) in the crankcase.  Do it for the last 100 miles or so before an oil change.  I'm not a "crankcase additive" guy--but this stuff really works to clean up those small passages the oil has to squeeze through!