Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjustable rear trailing arms

Battle Wagon

Read several threads on this topic but still can't decide which trailing arms to use to correct geometry on my 93 legacy. KYB/ King spring lift, 28" tires ...

Mixed reviews on the EBay stuff ( Godpeed and the like) - http://m.ebay.com/itm/260834552691?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=190804344943

Cusco and OBX are pretty spendy...

Thoughts ?

I bought the cheaper ones you have listed.  They work just fine.  Cheaper to buy those than rebuild them but they are rebuild-able.  Depending on the size of your lift and how you have the trailing arm connected it may need to be modified.

IMAG0641.jpg

IMAG0648.jpg

• Like 1

North coast - were you able to re-center the wheel with just the trailing arm adjustment ? I saw in another thread where someone was pointing out that you may have suspension binding issues with your setup. What's your take ? How likely is it to bend stuff or have premature wear on bushings ?

North coast - were you able to re-center the wheel with just the trailing arm adjustment  ?

Yes, although mine is lengthened to compensate for the 7" lift.  There is plenty of adjustment to compensate for a strut only lift.  legacygt4 did the same thing in his thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/140225-my-1998-legacy-outback/

I saw in another thread where someone was pointing out that you may have suspension binding issues with your setup. What's your take ? How likely is it to bend stuff or have premature wear on bushings ?

My take?  That guy is a ... oh wait, this isn't Rally Anarchy. Free speech not allowed here.  

I don't have any suspension binding and won't have any unless I find a magic set of super suspender struts that would increase my travel by a minimum of 4".  

Likelihood of bending stuff is relative to your speed vs the mass of the object you hit.  

Premature bushing wear?  I'll answer your question with these questions.  How long are bushings supposed to last? How often do you wash your car?  How do you drive it? 

My take on bushings is this... If they last two years with the abuse I put on them then I'm happy. 

North coast - were you able to re-center the wheel with just the trailing arm adjustment ? I saw in another thread where someone was pointing out that you may have suspension binding issues with your setup. What's your take ? How likely is it to bend stuff or have premature wear on bushings ?

The suspension binding issues is because the control arms pivot around different axis's.However, it is "solved" with the heim joints because they allow much more sideways deflection than the stock rubber bushings.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've just signed up. I'm lifting a 1997 Legacy with 06 Forester strut assemblies. I'm just about to order adjustable trailing arms from Godspeed (first link in post #1). I can order etiher 6pcs set with lateral links or just 2 trailing arms. I can see that I do need longer trailing arms to correct geometry. Do I need the godspeed lateral links or is the stock fine? They don't list Legacys in compatible vehicle list, and I'm wondering whether lateral links help or are a waste of money for a Legacy. Thanks!

Wow, so over 12" from full droop to full bump?

Toe is not effected.  Travel is approximately 7.5" down and a little less up because it rubs the top of the wheel well.

Hmm......I am suspect of these numbers.  You are still running stock forrester/outback struts.

They don't have 12" of travel.....no matter what linkage/trailing arms you run.

Max would be about 9" if you can make the strut rod travel it's full stroke.....although I think the Coil spring compresses to nearly solid before the strut rod will bottom out.  In reallity I'd be surprised if there was 8" of total travel.

It's a beautiful setup.....nice car.......Not trying to knock anyones work.......Just putting a slightly more skeptical eye on things.

Max would be about 9" if you can make the strut rod travel it's full stroke.....although I think the Coil spring compresses to nearly solid before the strut rod will bottom out.  In reallity I'd be surprised if there was 8" of total travel.

It's a beautiful setup.....nice car.......Not trying to knock anyones work.......Just putting a slightly more skeptical eye on things.

Agreed.  I've never measured the travel just guesstimating.

c4l... get the 6 piece.

I think people are mistaking taking both up and down and adding them. It is a Total number.

SO, when you add lift, depending on where you do it, it changes the up travel , and droop of said complete suspension travel.

So when you need full range of motion it is set where you want it to be. Most successful systems for Subaru I have found have remained in the stock travel limitations with uptravel being slightly less than droop.

That also depends on the vehicle(EA, or EJ).

Just sayin..

cheers

Thanks NorthCoast and monstaru!

I'm just done with the lift. This is my first thing so please bare with me.

I have not yet bought Godspeed adjustable trailing arms, so I finished my todays project with trailing arm brackets that I pulled off a 99 Legacy Outback.

I've spent long time lying under the car and looking at the components.
So I thought that

monstaru, please correct me:

if I was using a longer strut, then I'd need to drop the trailing arm bracket a certaing distance down to correct geometery. Ideally, I'd use a block between trailing arm bracket and body. (I didn't, so I used a bigger bracket to compensate for the longer strut.)

I want to do it right (a succesfull system for  Subaru)...post-55056-0-67108900-1411094246_thumb.jpg

Using the lower angle Outback trailing arm bracket is what most folks do to compensate for the adverse angle caused by using a longer strut.( If thats what you meant) NOrthcoast was basically stating that. Having a block there makes it very easy to get caught up.

And using a longer strut is what I did with Stella, in conjunction with some smaller style blocks.

And just FYI, once you find your weakness', it is very possible you come out with a better way to do anything.Keep laying underneath the car and staring at it. It only helps. lol

cheers

• Like 1