Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member with a new (to me) Subaru

Hello Friends, 

So a couple of weeks ago i picked up a 1997 Legacy L Wagon from one of my customers. I'm a mechanic at a Liberty Service station in Northern Virginia. A bad idler pulley cause it to throw the timing belt, and they didn't want to put that much money into a car with almost a quarter million miles on it, so we made a deal, and the car is mine. Luckily the 2.2L isnt an interference engine, so i was able to get it running with little effort. It was a one-owner car before i bought it, super clean, and VERY well maintained so even with 230,000 miles it still pulls strong. 

I'd like to do what i can to make it unique, and a little more functional for my needs, so i need your help. i need you guys to point me to the right threads on here for tips and tricks. here goes:

>the rear end in sagging a bit. I know i can just replace the struts and springs out back, but being as this is the "L" model, the whole thing sits a bit lower than im used to, having mostly driven trucks and SUVs in the past. if i wanted to get a little more height, maybe just an inch, tho inches max, should i go with strut spacers, or the struts/springs from an outback or forester. i just want a little more ground clearance for driving up hunting trails and fire roads in SW Virginia, i'm not trying to tackle the Rubicon. 

>are there any issues taking the wheels from a newer model and putting them on my car? i want to upgrade from the 14" wheels i have, but i want to make sure i don't get wheels that wont clear the calipers. 

>finally, can anyone recommend a HID or LED headlamp kit? i drive down dark roads alot, and any extra lumens are greatly appreciated. i have already restored the lenses on the headlamps, and properly aimed them, but i could still use some more brightness. 

Thanks, and anyone who needs mechanical advice on subarus or anything, really, let me know. 

Welcome to the USMB!  Sounds like you happened on to a great deal with the wagon.

Just to clarify, if your '97 has its original motor it is interference.  '96 was the last year for the non-interference 2.2l.

You can put larger wheels on the car--15" for sure--just make sure they have the 5 X 100 lug pattern and proper offset.

There's tons of great Subie info on here--try the "search" function (use advanced search so you can limit your results to the New Generation forum)--it's a goldmine!

Good luck.

Welcome!  Tons of good info here.  I learn something new every time I look at a thread!

15" Subaru rims (and others, I'm sure) will clear your calipers no problem.  My '95 L came with 15" OEM alloys and had the single piston brake calipers but I replaced them (front) with the dual piston calipers (and larger rotors) that are on Outbacks (e.g. a '96 Outback) that will only fit 15" rims.

To get some more height, there are tons of threads about lifting.  Easiest option is to swap in Outback struts/springs.  Direct bolt on for  your '97 if you use Outback parts from '96-'99 (or Forester-see years in threads-->).  Check out these threads here here and here.