to mod or not to mod, eso es la pregunta  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When is a car too far gone?

• Never
    • When there is nothing left to hold the bondo together
    • when the VIN numbers plates fall off
    • when you decide it's too far gone
    • when scrappers knock on your door and ask about it
    • when the city sends you a politely worded letter about it's ultimate destiny
    • realtors ask you to cover it for a home sale across the street
    • When GD, Turbone, grossgary, Loyale2.7, and Monstaru all politely send you links to craigslist ads for another car

So my dad posed a question to me, 'how many people do you suppose have an RX and an RS?'. This got me to thinking about how many (1990) RS were out there. I have seen one, other than mine.  I had read on Wikipedia that there were 2600 RX made. This turns out to not be true.

For some strange reason, LadyLegacy seems to have the ear of God, or at least Subaru of North America. She has written them questions and they actually answer within a few days. (Not even going to bother trying that with Chevrolet.) She asked them how many 1988 RX were made, they replied that approximately 8 thousand were built, when she asked how many 1990 RS were built, they replied 'approximately 500'.

Well poop. I adore my RX so much I have found a piece here and a piece there to bring it back from the grave it was headed for. I haven't done anything totally stupid with it. Yes, I rigged an ej205 intercooler. The PO left a ginormous ugly hole cut in the hood, so I did mount a scoop to feed the intercooler too... it has EJ seats in it, but I have the worn out originals. My point being I can unbolt any changes and I haven't made irrevocable moves.

The RS was a hand me down near the end of it's service life. The engine still ran but it was headed to a full overhaul. It had a long list of things that were simply worn out and needing replacement. I removed the SR5 and put in a DR5. It got lifted. It got rear disc and the 6 bolt. XT seats etc. etc. now it is getting very very rusty. I was perfectly happy to EJ this, I have been banking parts to do the swap. Now I find out they made 500?

Yes it was an SR5, yes it does not have all the features of the RX, (no it does not have an LSD). Yes it was most likely an after thought for pieces still in the pipeline when the RX was discontinued... and it's so obscure no one really pays much attention to it. No it's not valuable in any real way... uh, which older Suubie is?

I can't help but think I need to set it back down and NOT mod the crap out of it. I can't help but feel that maybe as much as I love the coupe style and the lifted coupe's absurdly aggressive look that maybe I need to find something else to mod and try to bring this one back from the end of the line.

(one pic shows ONLY other RS I have ever seen, Super Brats? mine is the Rio Red one)post-21057-0-71248000-1404070042_thumb.jpegpost-21057-0-85980100-1404070080_thumb.jpg

Its your car, only you can really make the decision.  I finally decided to send my 87 GL to Subaru heaven (though a GL wagon is NOT rare by any means) after problem after problem kept coming up.  I was rust free, but 321,800 miles had taken their toll and I had a brake fluid leak, the parking brake liked to stick, I ate exhaust gaskets, it wouldn't hold an alignment because all the suspension bushings were shot.  When the engine finally had something let go internally I made the choice to part it out.  It would have been thousands of dollars more to keep it running.  As it was I put over $8000 into it over its life including the price of the car (I bought it for $2700 back when it was actually worth that much).

In my opinion the only thing that can REALLY kill a car are rust and a bad collision.  Since my GL was common and I had a Baja coming my way anyway, I chose to let the GL go.

I say resurrect the RS to its upgraded glory and mob it till it breaks.

Yeah, its rare, but its rare like an Edsel.

Rare for a reason. Not really ever going to be collector in its current body condition.

Twitch

PS: I voted never because you have access to a welder. 'Nuff Said

Edited by Twitch de la Brat

I'd be curious to know if the numbers quoted for the RX builds are USA/North America only, or world wide?

They were available from Japan also.

Subaru Aust never brought in the 3 door, probably considering that the Vortex (XT) was enough for our smaller market.

So if you want rare, send an RX 3 door this way, I've always wanted one. I believe there are only 3 in this country, though the debate would be whether that would make it worth more...

1. flowmastered should have been included in the polite link to craigslist choice

2. have a wrecked XT

3. LMAO... yep, the Edsel of Subaru's, I know it isn't valuable, just obscure 

4. Could be global, will have to read her email

Getting a bit off topic :P

Now NZ gets a lot of its cars 2nd hand from Japan. They used to have a Knock Down Kit assembly industry for cars, but never a full manufacturing industry. Being a smaller country with a higher cost of petrol, they got a smaller sized range of cars compared with here.

In the 90s, the NZ design rules adopted the Japanese Design standard without any extras, so pretty much overnight, that industry was lost & grey imports of JDM cars began.

The Aus design rules were higher (needed side instrusion bars, more prominent side indicators, different seatbelts), and also because we have (but not for much longer) a car manufacturing industry, the manufactuers lobbied the government to impose more restrictions on the 2nd hand grey imports, but not private imports or cars older than 15 years (now changed to pre 89 only).

Grey imports were required to meet:

• not have an equivalent model (ie simlar body shell) already on sale by a manufacturer. ie allowed JZA80 Supra, but not 2 door Subaru STi.
  • have all the fluids changed
  • have all new tyres fitted
  • have all new seatbelts fitted
  • side intrusions bars fitted if not present
  • child anchor points fitted if not present
  • side repeaters fitted if not already present
  • have a car crash tested

So our grey imports cost a lot more to bring in that those from NZ (and our rules keep getting tighter), and any from NZ would have come from Japan anyway, but with the cost of an extra boat ride plus customs duty, etc. They used to be able to bring in diesel variants of the same body shell, but Japan basically stopped building any diesel cars in the early 00s, and this option has since been removed. Grey imports now must meet either a performace spec (ie power to weight ratio), or high fuel economy spec, otherwise bad luck.

NZ is also futher south than us, with the corresponding snow, & worse roads, so cars don't last as long. Because of this, some of our collectibles are actually going the other way across "the ditch"

I'd love to get a Lexus IS wagon (we got the sedan), but it's not powerful enough for its weight.

To get a little bit back on topic, I could bring in an 89 RX hatch quite easily (though I'd need to convert to RHD, which wouldn't be so hard), the 90 RS would be a whole lot more difficult.

Edited by wagonist

I have emailed SoA many times over the years, they could only give me date of manufacturer never any actual production numbers. I would be very surprised if there were 8k RX G56B coupes sold in the USA. The Loyale RS number of 500 does sound right tho.

The US 1990 Loyale RS came in 3 flavors: SPFI-3AT, SPFI-5MT, MPFI-4AT (turbo).. None were FWD afaik. Only the MPFI's got rear disc brakes standard.

source: FSM's

Edited by Ibreakstuff

RS is a rare model.........and then it isn't.........Nothin that didn't come on thousands of other cars......kinda like a "DL" model of the RX.

And it's not a submodel type that is particularly interesting or representing 80's weirdness as a collectible like a Brat or XT......

I'd say do what you want with it.......it would be a cool rump roast wheeler........or just a daily driver with a EJ22 and small lift.

You're not "ruining" anything that's really collectible.  Even though many more were made.....the RX seems like a better candidate for "collectible" since the Turbo heritage kinda began there and has been the basis of Subaru's rally success.

It's the perfect car for someone that really wants to ENJOY driving a classic subaru......but one that's a bit different than the basic wagons everyones got.

I have emailed SoA many times over the years, they could only give me date of manufacturer never any actual production numbers. I would be very surprised if there were 8k RX G56B coupes sold in the USA. The Loyale RS number of 500 does sound right tho.

The US 1990 Loyale RS came in 3 flavors: SPFI-3AT, SPFI-5MT, MPFI-4AT (turbo).. None were FWD afaik. Only the MPFI's got rear disc brakes standard.

source: FSM's

mine was fwd. from factory.

i dont, sold it last summer. who on bogs green earth would ever convert to the worst trans ever on a car with 140k on it? only thing worse than a 3at is a 2wd 3at

...sorry for the tangent folks

License plate # would work to find the vin also, if it's still registered with the same plates.

Without the VIN to confirm, my guess is that the RX aesthetic package was installed by the dealer or it was a special order.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

License plate # would work to find the vin also, if it's still registered with the same plates.

Without the VIN to confirm, my guess is that the RX aesthetic package was installed by the dealer or it was a special order.

it was an RS, not an RX. 2wd 3at, rear drums. Grey bumpers w red stripes. if I can find pics ill get the plate number

it was an RS, not an RX. 2wd 3at, rear drums. Grey bumpers w red stripes. if I can find pics ill get the plate number

I ment RS, typo on my part. If the VIN has 1 (or 7 for turbo) in the 7th position, it would confirm its a factory RS. But it doesn't show fwd as a possible combo. I always hear about oddball subaru's, but its rarely confirmed with the VIN. Theoretical fwd RS VIN would be like: JF2AG41BXLB8##### or JF2AG41BXLC8##### (3at vs 5mt). If you find the plate#, I would be willing to pay for a carfax just to confirm the existence. Pics too!

Sorry so offtopic Txakura, if I had a straight body RS.. I would keep/restore/restomod it. But as to how collectible or future value, who knows. As Gloyale mentioned, the RX get's the cool award just due to the rally pedigree.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I agree/realize that it is not 'valuable' in many senses of the word. It may be headed back to play toy status after the WCSS 16 it's hard not to make crazy plans. Seems like I learn something new every time I go to one of those. I may have found a 3 dr coupe to give me fresh metal, hoping they get back to me.

I have really enjoyed the conversation this started, I read all of it with great interest to date and appreciated insight into Australia and New Zealand as well as the vin info.

Good stuff.

Leave the rs lifted and make a fun car out if it. You can baby the rx. After all if you put an rs Nd an rx side by side no one would even know the difference.

On a side note there was an rs for sale here i got all hot in the rump roast for it because i thought the ad was a typo.. i get there and its NA AUTO.and rustys as hell and he wanted 2500

• 2 weeks later...

Looked at my vin, the RS does not have the digits indicated in the previous post in the 7th position. Tend to believe my car is correct over the 7th position info. Re: 'RX aesthetic package' not really tracking that one, the RS had the RX spoiler and chin dam, but not the side skirting. kind of my uninformed opinion they simply used up what was left after the RX line shut down

little humor, SuperBrat hooked me up with black side skirts and the rear valence skirting (which actually came from Gpilot in Montana)

the humor is I will probably put it on the lifted car, LMAO because that will help the aeordynamic... not

Looked at my vin, the RS does not have the digits indicated in the previous post in the 7th position. Tend to believe my car is correct over the 7th position info. Re: 'RX aesthetic package' not really tracking that one, the RS had the RX spoiler and chin dam, but not the side skirting. kind of my uninformed opinion they simply used up what was left after the RX line shut down

little humor, SuperBrat hooked me up with black side skirts and the rear valence skirting (which actually came from Gpilot in Montana)

the humor is I will probably put it on the lifted car, LMAO because that will help the aeordynamic... not

Those VIN's I posted were regarding FWD, just theoretical. Personally I am not sure they existed, but have read reports of them existing in the USA. RS would have came with front dam, rear spoiler, no side skirts, and the FT4WD (or 3AT/4AT 4WD). I have no doubt your car is a true RS, just not so sure about the FWD ones...

Per the FSM, RS VIN should start out with one of these 3:

JF2AG51BxLD

JF2AG51BxLF

JF2AG57BxLH

When I said "RX aesthetic package" I was just referring to the fact that the body parts could be ordered from any dealership parts department back in the day, down to the the RX or RS decals. I wouldn't be surprised if the RX/RS spoiler/dam were the same exact part number.

Body parts do usually = more drag for sure! But man, they sure make the car look better.

Edited by Ibreakstuff