Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'84 GL AWD worn synchros in third?

transmission gl

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 friendlyfallenfoe

friendlyfallenfoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

10464305_10202851429381385_2913730263427

Salutations! First post on here. I just purchased the lovely Ethel pictured above. The car's great, she's been taken care of, but I've been having problems with third gear. EA81, 4WD, 4-speed. Grinds and kicks out of gear if I shift too quickly. Even successful shifts are occasionally painful (a hard knock when the gears engage, generally). I'm assuming it's just worn synchros, courtesy of a 30-year old transmission. I've read into it a bit, and it seems that this issue is fairly common? Any advice or suggestion is appreciated. If I shift slowly and firmly, I can usually avoid grinding. My primary concern is this affecting the longevity of the car. 

Thanks,
friendlyfallenfoe on behalf of Ethel, my 1984 GL hatchback. 

#2 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Crazyeights

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,018 posts
  • Pacific Northwest

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

Changing the fluid may help, as will adding 1 quart per service of Rislone engine oil additive to the trans. In my experince regular high grade 75w-90 NON synth will work best. In the end you will probably want to search the many very popular "5 speed swap" threads on here. That alone will make a new car out of it IHO. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users