Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel flooding at start up

machthree2

Hey all,

I have a EA to EJ and have problems starting. Pressurizes OK but floods when trying to start. A mechanic showed me that if he pinches the fuel intake line, it starts fines and runs thereafter. So I put a switch on the fuel pump pwr and turn off flow until start. We replaced the fuel pump relay and I check the fuel return and vacuum to fuel regulator. Also put the return line into a can and it fill up quickly at first 30 seconds of run?

Any ideas on the flooding. Could it be temperature miss-read at the ECU causing a cold start issue?  At a complete loss. Should it fill up a large water bottle with return fuel in 40 seconds?

Any help,

TX 

Hey all,

I have a EA to EJ and have problems starting. Pressurizes OK but floods when trying to start. A mechanic showed me that if he pinches the fuel intake line, it starts fines and runs thereafter. So I put a switch on the fuel pump pwr and turn off flow until start. We replaced the fuel pump relay and I check the fuel return and vacuum to fuel regulator. Also put the return line into a can and it fill up quickly at first 30 seconds of run?

Any ideas on the flooding. Could it be temperature miss-read at the ECU causing a cold start issue?  At a complete loss. Should it fill up a large water bottle with return fuel in 40 seconds?

Any help,

TX 

ok may be leak in an injector

anyone have leaky injectors causing rich or flooded?

...crickets. ha.

After looking at that thing and thinking about it i really do think it is a leaky injector or torn O-ring etc. Get you some new O-rings and put them new suckers in. I can't wait to hear what happens, especially after you told me about the truck incident and what happened to the one injector on that one fateful day...

Another good place to post this question would be in the new gen forum 1990 and newer, post the year of the swapped motor, what it is yada yada and the problem. Those guys deal with EJ22s alot and they are pretty helpful as far as i've seen.

Cheers!

Does your swap have the Start Signal wire hooked to the starter circuit?  That would be the first thing I would suspect.

Also...test the fuel pressure...make sure it's not too high.

Also...The pump should not run continuosly with the key on......should on;y run for a few seconds to prime....and then not again until the ECU sees a signal from the Crank&Cam sensors (engine turning/running) 

How is your Fuel pump relay wired???

G, we found a bad fuel pump relay at first. We replaced it with a spare i had and now it clicks on like it should to prime the line. We also checked the starter signal wire and that was good, next was the coolant temp sensor and that was also good.

We are definitely leaning heavily towards a leaky injector,dude has already went to the junkyard and snagged new, well other ones and fuel rails. We will replace all O rings with new and check that.

Fixxxxxxxxxxxxxed ....

original problem 

flood if fuel wasn't pinched off at start.

could start when cold if fuel was shut off.. could not restart  when hot unless shut off and throttle open.

ran poorly, no idle, lack of power

rich reported at emissions

smoke when revved

fix:

engine temp sensor open 'badl

bad injector and or cl

injector bad or partial leak. flood

• 2 weeks later...

OK 

update..... went back and primary reason for flooding was bad fuel regulator and leaky injector. 

i originally bought one (regulator) off Ebay and it must have been bad. used stuff can suck. 

fuel injectors are strange too. they need good seals and one can trouble shoot like any other cylinder issue. pull the connector and see if idle or running changes (it should if good). if no change then obviously that injector is not sealed or bad... the weird part is if you rev or run at higher than idle it seams OK

good luck 

Edited by machthree2