Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil, everywhere.

Ok...on the fresh installation of the GL-10's new turbo engine...after running for about 300+ miles...there is oil EVERYWHERE on the front side of the engine...the belts are slinging it all over the place...on the hood, on the frame rails, batt...exhaust...everywhere. Just on the front of the engine.

Now...I did not replace any seals on reinstall...the cam seals never leaked on the previous engine.

The front main seal didnt look leaky...so i left it alone...plus I could not get the cam belt sprokets off...

I re-used the oil pump seals from the other engine. I didnt use anything new on that.

I think the dipstick tube could use a new Oring...but how could oil be getting out of that?

So, its either the cam seals, front main seal, or the oil pump, right?

As a note...im running with NO timing belt covers.

Make sure all your vacume hoses are pluged in or pluged up! Those can spew oil all over. Must be flinging it from somewhere. Is it all over your timing belts? Maybe you can peek behind your cam gears and see the culprit? Peek behind the main crank pulley. Should be able to see those if you have all the covers off like you said. Could also be oil pump seals. Maybe try cleaning it all off and watching it leak.

Normally to spew a large amount of oil out of a EA82 engine--you have lost the front main or the oil pump seal--We have gone to using only Subie factory seals at the shop--the aftermarket ones seem to be just s***.

I have just replaced oil pumps--if you can buy a jap-made one, they are the only aftermarket parts I trust--I've seen lots of junk coming from China & they just belong in the trash.:banghead:

I'd suspect the oil pump gaskets and seal. You DID use grease or vaseline to stick the gasket in place when you reinstalled the pump, right?

Since the crankshaft seal is easy to replace and is fairly cheap, you should really replace it with a new one. Ditto for the oil pump shaft seal and the gasket. As the previous post says, accept no after-market substitutes.

Ok, cleaned the front main sela dn oil pump area. Ran at speed on jack stands for a while...it got warm. Then idle'd...Oil just puring from the front main seal.

Well, im headed to Folger SUBARU, Pleiades has the front main seal on order for me, and I will be picking up the oil pump reseal kit. And...a temp sensor for a 96 Outback.