Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Friend's alternator cable split

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

It's like pulling teeth trying to get info from him.. I tried to get him to send me a picture but all I know is he said the wire for the alternator output split near the part that gets screwed down.. so he is looking to get a replacement cable from the dealer but I can't see to find a part number for the cable?

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,045 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

It's part of the wiring harness.  It connects to the engine compartment fuse box.  

1) if the wire is long enough crimp on a new end and be done with it.  Don't use a cheap crimp, get a good one and a quality crimper

2) hit the junk yard and remove a good one

#3 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

So you are saying it's a pain to get to and change it? I'm not out at my car right now to look.

#4 jp98

jp98

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Gypsum, Co

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Odds are the dealer will not even have it in stock if they can even get it, and usually with pieces for a wiring harness they will only sell you the whole harness.  The quickest and easiest way to fix it would be to just get a piece of wire of the same gauge and crimp a connector on the end.  Then cut and crimp it to the old wire back where there is good wire and before the so called split. 

#5 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

The yard has a outback but the question is is it really involved in replacing the harness part for the alternator? I would crimp it but where would I find the connectors and what tool would do a good job of crimping?

#6 jp98

jp98

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Gypsum, Co

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

If you don't have a crimping tool but do have a soldering iron or gun you could use the one from the junk yard, solder it and then heat shrink the connection.  If you don't have a soldering iron or gun you really should if you do work on vehicles.  Also use rosin core solder for electrical and electronics and not the acid type for plumbing.  In a pinch you could even use a large electrical connector called a wing nut.   

#7 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

I have all that but I use my soldering iron for smaller electronic stuff so my highest wattage is 40w he told me the rubber cover was burned.. I don't have a crimper.

#8 jp98

jp98

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Gypsum, Co

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

You really don't need the rubber cover, all that is for is so that you don't short it out while working on something else.  A 40w one would work but it would take a while to heat up the wires. 

#9 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,979 posts
  • Texas

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

don't forget to pull the neg terminal off the battery before any work,

It's just too easy to be 'casual' and forget about that 600A battery under the hood!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 06 July 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

I suggest you try to find a service shop that specializes in electrical repairs. They should have the parts you really need to fix this. You can't use a normal wire crimper tool for this or connectors. You are going to need something for 8 or 6 gauge wire most likely. If the remaining end of the wire is long enough a new terminal could be crimped on it, otherwise you will have to splice a small section onto the end with a new terminal on it. You should also try to find another boot to go over the stud connection. It leaves the hot connection exposed without it. If a ground comes into contact with that it's good by fuse. Make sure the connection to the alternator is clean an snug tight, not over tightened.  

#11 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

He went ahead anyways and ordered a new cable from the dealer.

not sure how much it costs but it's going to take a few days.

#12 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

Forgot to post pictures but he ended up getting the wrong part from the dealer he got the battery cables to starter and ground.. I still don't see a part for it and he looks like he might have to crimp it.

#13 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Let's see if this works

Edited by 1-3-2-4, 14 July 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#14 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

Ended up going to a yard and cutting

#15 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Question the nut that screws on is very tight he already picked up a reman alt and I wonder if I should use it?

#16 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,059 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Reman alt is gonna be trouble unless it came from Subaru.
If the threads on the post are OK clean any corrosion off with a wire brush and use a new 10mm nut. Apply some di-electric grease or anti-seize lightly to the threads to prevent rust.

#17 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,059 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Reman alt is gonna be trouble unless it came from Subaru.
If the threads on the post are OK clean any corrosion off with a wire brush and use a new 10mm nut. Apply some di-electric grease or anti-seize lightly to the threads to prevent rust.

#18 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

Yeah I know trying to keep the alternator

This site sucks on mobile can't upload the pics but heavy oxidation on the first 3 inches of the cable along with a burning smell.

Edited by 1-3-2-4, 14 July 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#19 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Wow I tested the old alt and it was putting out 30vac

#20 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,727 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Ok it was a cheap autozone meter and I checked on my better one and it's fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users