Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for Left Rear Caliper Bracket 98 Forester

As the title states, I'm looking for a rear Caliper bracket for our daughters 98 Forester. While she is home from college, I just replaced the pads and found one of the slide pins frozen. I was able to get it out, clean and burnish it, then reinstall with some fresh high temp grease. This I deem as a TEMPORARY repair and would like to replace it with a working one before she goes back to Pittsburgh in late August.

I was able to find 2 wrecks in the local yards ( an Impreza and a Forester ) but they were in BAD if not worse shape.

The Caliper itself is good, The rear brackets are the same, left and right. So if anyone has a good one laying around from a 98-02 rear Impreza, or 98-03 rear Forester, please let me know.

I recently had the same problem with my OBW, a frozen slide pin. I bought a remanufacturerd caliper from Advance Auto Parts on line, that included a kit with new pins and parts. Left side part number SLC 9357, or right side part number SLC 9356. Cost is $75, however, 30% - 40% on line coupon from Advance reduces the price by quite a bit.

I was very impressed with the quality, and cleanliness of the caliper, and complete accessories. Highly recommend it.

you can get new guide pin and boot kits from Advance Auto Parts or RockAuto.com - much cheaper alternative if everything else is still in good shape.

Advance Auto links

guide pins: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wearever-caliper-guide-pin-bolt-kit-14119/10167988-P?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*16461

Guide pin boots: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wearever-disc-brake-caliper-guide-pin-boot-kit-18046a/18310398-P?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*16461

I replaced the pins & boots on my 90 legacy with parts from Advance - the parts worked just fine.

Edited by heartless

I would just replace the pins, but the one hole is in sad shape, even after cleaning it out.

I did have extra pins around and used an undamaged one for now, but still want to replace the bracket.

I don't want to pay for a complete replacement caliper, and a new bracket itself is more than 1/2 the price of the complete caliper, But if I have to, I will.

But in the meantime, if I can find a good used one, I would prefer going that route.

Just asking if anyone has a good used one around they are willing to sell and ship.

Suggest you go to "Marketplace" forum on USMB, specifically to the "Subaru Stuff Wanted" section and list what you want to buy. Maybe someone there has what you want.

i have a set of 1998 Impreza RS rear caliper brackets.  these are the rare 2.5 liter Impreza's, not the more common 1998 2.2 imprezas.

i don't have the pins for those, unsure if i may have a set of matching pins or not.

they are the same rotor size as your forester and being the same year, probably the same. 

but variations in Subaru calipers, brackets, and pins are enormously common, so you may want to verify.

I had to replace a rear caliper on my GFs car not long ago and got a caliper/bracket assembly from Advance auto. Everything looked fine except the dust boots on the slide pins were absolute crap. They were only about half the length they should have been and were a very loose fit around the little flange in the bracket. So loose that they popped off and exposed the slide pin at only about half travel.

Took it back to the store to see if it was just a mix-up during assembly. They had another one, and it had the same crap dust boots on it. I ended up cleaning and re-using the original Subaru dust boots. I also cleaned out the grease that was in it and re-greased the pins with high temp silicone/ceramic brake grease.