Spent the entire weekend working on Ash. The door lock circuit was blowing fuses as soon as they were put it. I took all the door panels off and removed the actuators on the three doors (driver side has a master switch and no actuator). The passenger side mounting screws for the actuators each had one bugger that would not budge and stripped out. So stop and drilled them out, which of course means time to learn to use an EZ Out. You would think you could just reach inside and unplug the actuators just to do troubleshooting, but you would be wrong. The actuators are buried inside the doors in a tight space and the connector plugs right into the bottom of the actuator body. So unless one is Mr Fantastic of the Fantastic four with the ability to stretch to any shape, the actuators must be unmounted.
With all the actuators disconnected, it still was blowing fuses. So the next step was the master switch on the door. I took it out and then the fuses stopped blowing. I pondered a run to the junkyard or a kitchen table disassembly like I did for the master power window switch. I did notice the plug to the master switch seemed to be globbed in a mix of dielectric grease, carbon and dirt. So I cleaned it up and tried plugging it in. No fuse pop. Progress at last. I worked the switched back and forth and still no fuse pop.
One by one I plugged in the actuators, which by this time were completely removed from the locking rod and just laying in the door well. Each clicked as I moved the master switch until all were connected and clicked in unison, a beautiful sound indeed.
While the panels were off, I took the opportunity to thoroughly grease the tracks. It made a huge difference. When I first got Ash, the windows wouldn't even work. In the past I hit the mechanism with WD40 but even then the windows groaned and squeaked as they moved on their tracks. Now however they move as if they are new, gliding up and down effortlessly.
Due to the weather constraints, I did this over Sat and Sunday. Saturday I had discovered the issue but then had to put Ash inside as it was raining and that is not good weather for working on electrical issues in the door. Sunday I finished up the doors and took Ash for a nice long drive. While out driving, I noticed the passenger side running light was out so I drove to the Poulsbo Walmart to get the 194 bulb. I replaced it in the parking lot and got in to leave. Turning on the headlights, I noticed that the driver side was out. I turned on the brights and they both worked for a few seconds then the driver side flickered and went out. Back into Walmart I went to grab a 9004 headlight lamp. Although I tried to change it in the Walmart lot, I couldn't get the old bulb out so I decided to just drive home with one headlight and fix it at home.
Good thing I waited too, because the reason the headlight went out was that the enclosure had a puddle of water inside. Had I changed the lamp in the Walmart lot, it would have been out by the time I got home again. So I had to pull the headlight enclosure and get the water out by baking it at a low temperature in the oven. I did a post about it:
Now I have both headlights working and all the indicator lamps are working too. Unfortunately now the radio isn't working but that isn't going to stop me from doing the Dec 6th Hatch Patrol Xmas Tree run up by Enumclaw. Next weekend, snow tires for Ash and a thorough underside inspection.
Edited by MR_Loyale, 24 November 2014 - 06:08 AM.