Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1996 Impreza with a leaky oil pan or as an earlier post said the "baffle plate" or "oil seperator plate" leaks on the back of these engines.  I am just wondering if the engine is just sitting there on blocks and still leaking oil would that eliminate baffle plate, head gasket etc?  I am not very mechanical and will probably have the shop do since the engine has to be lifted to fix the oil pan or perhaps all of the above.  Already had the engine + transmission overhauled and at the end my economic sanity for going much further. any advice would be welcome

neither the oli sep plate nor the oil pan gasket will leak when the engine is off, just sitting.

but it may take a while for oil that leaked when driving to drip down and off of the engine.

the oil pan gaskets rarely leak.

the oil sep plate always leaks , eventually.

but if money is tight,

just top off the oil every week or few days,

and park over a piece of cardboard.

If you have paperwork on your overhaul, see if they sealed the breather plate.  

How long ago was the rebuild done?  

I'd go back to the shop that did the work first!

PCV can cause some oil issues.  $12.00 for the part at your Subaru Dealer.  Don't use aftermarket.