Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Impreza wagon muffler replacement

There isn't much in the way of "good" unless you want to spend way too much on dealer parts.

I like Bosal stuff on Rockauto.com. I've had good luck with fitment of their parts, and they seem to resist rust fairly well.

Walker makes a ton of exhaust parts as well. Either brand will only last a few years though and then be rusted out again, but it may last until you're ready to get rid of the car.

I agree with Fairtax. I use RockAuto exclusively and can't be happier with their service, fast shipping and cost. Just did a muffler on a 2001 Forester. It was a Walker muffler and once the old one was out, the new one went right in. Car is so quiet at idle I had trouble telling if it was running.

+1 just buy from your favorite store.  Subaru OEM is excellent quality material that stands the test of time.  they last 10 years in the rust belt instead of 3-5 like aftermarket.

but you're down south and OEM is really expensive so just buy whatever you want.  if you're going to be plunging through marshes and salt water than get the cheapest thing possible and replace often or buy OEM to get an extra couple years.

I just bought a bosal exhaust for a 2002 LL Bean and paid less through Advance Auto than I would've paid through Rock Auto.  I took advantage of the coupons that you find on the interweb.  Another advantage is if you have a problem with something with Advance you can return it at a local store.

+1 just buy from your favorite store.  Subaru OEM is excellent quality material that stands the test of time.  they last 10 years in the rust belt instead of 3-5 like aftermarket.

Agree. My 96 OBW still has the factory muffler on with very little rust. There is some snow but not a lot where I live.

If it were me, I would go to an independent family owned muffler shop, that does the custom torch pipe cut off, bends new pipe, and weld on new pipes and mufflers. Check on line, or in the phone book yellow pages in your city for an independently owned muffler shop near you.  A shop like that will replace only what needs to be replaced on your exhaust system at  reasonable cost.  Avoid the large chain muffler shops. All they ever want to do is to completely replace everything from the cat converter on back, and charge big bucks.

Thanks for all the replies.My muffler is good shape but my concern is it being so old that the catalytic converter might be clogged or not working at full capacity. 

replacing the muffler won't help that.  you mean "the exhaust system", not the "muffler system".

Subaru catalytic converters last the life of the vehicle unless they're abused.  you should not replace it unless you have issues.

if you're having issues, start by describing exactly what issues you have.