Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another accel dead

It depends on a lot of factors - condition and resistance of your wires, plug gap, etc. A properly tuned stock ignition system should perform just as well with either coil. Adding the high power coil is probably just masking other problems - similar to what MMO does for lifters. Subaru didn't need MMO to stop them from ticking, but lots of people use it.... same goes for spark. On the other hand, a high power coil may be cheaper than replacing all the ign. system components...

GD

It depends on a lot of factors - condition and resistance of your wires, plug gap, etc. A properly tuned stock ignition system should perform just as well with either coil. Adding the high power coil is probably just masking other problems - similar to what MMO does for lifters. Subaru didn't need MMO to stop them from ticking, but lots of people use it.... same goes for spark. On the other hand, a high power coil may be cheaper than replacing all the ign. system components...

GD

Sorry bud. I just have to disagree. I have used a wide variety of aftermarket ignition systems on an assortment of cars. A decent higher powered ignition system has been superior to stock on every vehicle I have upgraded. This includes very old and fairly new vehicles (never upgraded ignition stuff on any of my brand new vehicles)

You just have to wonder if it would have made a difference when the car rolled off the showroom floor. I tend to doubt it. Subaru engineers were pretty good, and if it needed a higher output ign. system then I think that would have been accomidated in the original design. Or at least addressed in a later model. I don't doubt that you noticed a "performance" increase, but I also haven't seen any hard data to prove one way or the other. I say that if it ignites the fuel, then that is enough. What people do not understand is that gasoline does NOT explode. It is a controled burn. The fuel is ignited at the top of the cylinder, and the flame front travels downward from the point of ignition. So really if the spark plug manages to ignite the fuel, it has done it's job. There is no "better" ignition of the fuel or "more complete" ignition of the fuel. This is the same reason that all the multi-electrode plugs are bunk. The spark only ever uses a single electrode anyway. If you notice a better running engine from a hotter than stock coil, it's probably because you have eliminated a partial miss-fire condition in the system. A hotter spark will ignite the fuel a higher percentage of the time, but never better, or more complete. And a stock system will ignite the fuel well over 99% of the time, so the perceived "increase" in performance is largely what researchers call the "placebo effect". You know the result you want to get, so that's what you receive. Research should not be done this way. You make a change, and then you record what has transpired. Only THEN do you attempt to draw conclusions about what effect the change may have had on the system.

GD

I have had the chrome coil in FERTHER in the stock position for at least 5 years and it hasn't missed a beat. Regular wires and NGKs.

There was an immediate improvement in starting, off-idle acceleration, top end grunt, and mpgs.

There was no *miss* before.

The hotter spark *does* provide more complete combustion, which is inhibited by compression.

The spark plug gap *must* be opened for the full effect. I run .045.

If it wasn't better, why are all new cars now using higher output coils?

The only thing to watch out for is older points type ignitions usually can't handle them.

Best bang-for-buck I ever bolted in. I'll never go back to a stock coil, except to prove the point. Bring your G-tec and stopwatch. We can both measure the results.

I've been running one on FURTHER also for 4 years now with the same excellent results.

Russ, I suspect you just got a bad one. Maybe the quality control isn't what it used to be.