Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cruise control swap with EJ22 conversion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 msewalson

msewalson

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Grand Junction, CO

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

I currently have an EJ22 in my Vanagon Syncro and would like to install the cruise from the donor subaru. Wondering if anyone on here has done this or any threads documenting the install. My main hang up is the wiring and what would be needed and what can be eliminated from the cruise system.

Thanks,
Matt

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,583 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Matt,

Do you know what year your EJ22 is from?

My suggestion on adding cruise would be to try and find a cruise control setup on a mid 90's Impreza.  They made an "add-on" kit which meant its interaction with the ECU was relatively limited or none at all.  You would need to add things or tie into the existing brake switches, etc.  Here is the install kit for the mid-90's Imprezas.   This may help in determining what all you need and how to make the wiring work.

http://main.experien...uise_add-on.pdf

I actually grabbed a cruise throttle cable from an Impreza a couple years back when I was in the Denver area and was finally able to install the cruise in my Outback sport.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,048 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Does your vanagon have a VSS hooked up?  I know many vanagon owners do not use a speed sensor with the EJ swap.

That is the one signal that is shared by Cruise and Engine computers so you will need it.

The other wire you need from the ECU is Tach signal (Black/blue wire)

Everything else for the Cruise computer is seperate 

You need:

VSS signal

Tach signal

Brake light signal

2nd brake switch (normally closed......opens when you hit brakes.....loops through clutch or "N" switch)

Clutch switch (loops with brake circuit)

Main "on" switch

"set" and "resume" switches.

12v+

Ground

#4 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

I've used this kit twice now with great results: http://www.ebay.com....8dd26d6f&_uhb=1

The first application was with my EJ22 converted L series.  I've used the supplied magnets on the tail (prop) shaft for the Vehicle Speed Sensor pick up, works well.

The other application was on my mother inlaw's Brumby.  I'll be looking at adding it to my Brumby once it's on the road.

Cheers

Bennie

#5 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I'll also add that the above kit is for an "auto" - but a second brake switch on the clutch pedal is an easy conversion to make it a "manual" kit rather than buying their kit.

Cheers

Bennie

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

I also recommend an aftermarket, universal kit. It's going to be much easier to interface with your setup...

Edited by Numbchux, 04 August 2014 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users