Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I didnt realize my car had rear drums until the other day. I already ordered a set of replacement rotors and pads for the rear. Id like to know what all is involved with converting rear drums to discs? Also i need to know if i can use impreza parts as well?

Thanks in advance.

p.s.

if you read this and your initial reaction is to tell me to search, dont waste your time.

You'll also want to grab the proportioning valve, and the rubber lines for the calipers. It's easiest to do the whole knuckle as an assembly. And you can use any rear disc knuckle from a 90-99 legacy, 93-07 non-sti impreza(06/07 wrx backing plates are different for the 2 pot calipers) and 98-07/8 forester. There will of course be differences with the abs sensor over the years if your legacy has it, but it sounds to me like yours is a Brighton so it won't have abs anyways.

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of this on my 98 Forester. It looks like the parking brake cables need to be swapped too. Which looks like the most PITA part. They connect up under center console? I have everything from an Outback to use. The master cylinder is same between drum and disc cars? The only change will be proportioning valve? (Well kind of in the middle, taken some apart and grabbed junkyard calipers, now replacing garbage disposal in kitchen...)

Is it FWD or AWD?

Have to swap the whole rear knuckle as far as I know. About $40-60 a side from a u-pull yard.

Sorry, I should update my signature.   Its a AWD L wagon.

I will be hitting the junkyard this weekend...  Im making a list :)

You'll also want to grab the proportioning valve, and the rubber lines for the calipers. It's easiest to do the whole knuckle as an assembly. And you can use any rear disc knuckle from a 90-99 legacy, 93-07 non-sti impreza(06/07 wrx backing plates are different for the 2 pot calipers) and 98-07/8 forester. There will of course be differences with the abs sensor over the years if your legacy has it, but it sounds to me like yours is a Brighton so it won't have abs anyways.

Thanks for this.   Will the rear disc size be the same across all these model years as well?   I ordered a full set of front & rear rotors off ebay for the '95 AWD wagon and want to be sure the calipers will accept the pads and be the right size, etc...    I didn't even think about the ABS, I will have to check under the hood and see if I have a ABS brain.   

Edited by TheSubaruJunkie

Drum brakes last a lot longer. They are less susceptible to corrosion, IMO. I've seen several legacy's with very corroded rear discs, partly because they get so much less pressure than the fronts. Myself, I don't need the slight additional braking power or precision of rear discs. My 08 Forester has rear drums.

I didnt realize my car had rear drums until the other day. I already ordered a set of replacement rotors and pads for the rear. Id like to know what all is involved with converting rear drums to discs? Also i need to know if i can use impreza parts as well?

Thanks in advance.

p.s.
if you read this and your initial reaction is to tell me to search, dont waste your time.

I see what uniberp is saying. 99% of the time I won't be driving in a manner that the slight extra rear brake power will make a bit of difference. I admit, it's mostly just for flossin, representin, ballin, pimpin, you know. I just can't roll with my new 17" and see some brake drums behind there. But the reasonable part of me is pained by wanting to take off perfectly good brakes.

Oh and btw my new garbage disposal is bitchin. Put a whole pigeon thru there.

Drum brakes last a lot longer. They are less susceptible to corrosion, IMO. I've seen several legacy's with very corroded rear discs, partly because they get so much less pressure than the fronts. Myself, I don't need the slight additional braking power or precision of rear discs. My 08 Forester has rear drums.

I see what uniberp is saying. 99% of the time I won't be driving in a manner that the slight extra rear brake power will make a bit of difference. I admit, it's mostly just for flossin, representin, ballin, pimpin, you know. I just can't roll with my new 17" and see some brake drums behind there. But the reasonable part of me is pained by wanting to take off perfectly good brakes.

Oh and btw my new garbage disposal is bitchin. Put a whole pigeon thru there.

You could just clean the drums up and paint them.

My drums are bad, they are making a grinding noise when I apply brakes and i can hear them dragging when I release the brake pedal.   They are horribly rusted and an extreme eyesore.  Right now they are hiding behind a set of steel rims with stock hubcaps in no better shape than the brakes are.  

Before I ever looked at the car, I assumed it had rear disc's an I ordered a full set of rotors & pads for front & rear.   I would like to use these rotors and pads... and im hoping maybe I can find a set of low mileage rear hubs with good bearings :)   Oh, and i also bought a set of alloy rims and no way I want to see rear drums behind my fresh alloys!!  

:D

• Like 1

Where are you on this project SubaruJunkie? I have mine all apart waiting on new bearings to get pressed in the unknown-mileage disc knuckles. Installed other parts I had, struts and sway bar. Disconnecting the e-brake cables is indeed most pita part. Where they come through floor is just behind center console, under carpet. Center console, rear seat bottom and both front seats have to come out to give enough slack to lift carpet up. (The Legacy parts car just got cut, way quicker!) I'm not exactly sure on legacy rear seat, but on Forester it's held by the two obvious bolts on front side and then one hook in the middle, where the center of seat has to get pressed down and the front rotated up. Legacy is probably same or similar. Maybe hook on either side. The e-brake cables are about 3-4" longer on Legacy than Forester. Connection to brakes is different so definitely must be changed.

(Krikey, I had some pics but it's saying too big to upload. Maybe I'll get them here later...)

Edited by Ratpick

Also, in case anyone's curious, complete knuckle with drum setup is 32.6 lbs while complete knuckle with disc setup is 35.8 lbs. ...oh wait, just realized I didn't have the pads in the pile on the scale, so disc setup is a little more than that.

• 1 year later...

Where are you on this project SubaruJunkie? I have mine all apart waiting on new bearings to get pressed in the unknown-mileage disc knuckles. Installed other parts I had, struts and sway bar. Disconnecting the e-brake cables is indeed most pita part. Where they come through floor is just behind center console, under carpet. Center console, rear seat bottom and both front seats have to come out to give enough slack to lift carpet up. (The Legacy parts car just got cut, way quicker!) I'm not exactly sure on legacy rear seat, but on Forester it's held by the two obvious bolts on front side and then one hook in the middle, where the center of seat has to get pressed down and the front rotated up. Legacy is probably same or similar. Maybe hook on either side. The e-brake cables are about 3-4" longer on Legacy than Forester. Connection to brakes is different so definitely must be changed.

(Krikey, I had some pics but it's saying too big to upload. Maybe I'll get them here later...)

I gave up on this project.   After realizing the front seats and carpet has to come out, it was just too much hassle for a little extra 'bling'.   This car isnt a performance car and the rear drums are more than enough to stop me :)