Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 Engine Rebuild / Boring Discussion

Boring Engine rebuild EA82 rusty cylinder machining

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wagondragon

wagondragon

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Hillsboro Oregon

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

So i have an extra EA82 that has about 90k on it, it was running well until the head gasket went. When i took it apart i noticed one of the cylinders had a pitted rust spot about a quarter of an inch square near the end of the piston stroke. I dont remember it smoking, but it probably was to some extent.

Would it be worth boring and getting enlarged pistons if i could do the boring myself? I'm currently going to school as a machinist and may have the correct machines to do it at home. But ive read that the EA82 is not worth boring for cost reasons.

Has anyone had a bore job done on their EA82? how did it work out for you? Any and all discussion on this topic is welcome and appreciated.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

an ER27 6 cylinder XT6 engine is identical to the EA82 - it's the same exact pistons, bearings, rods, valve train, cam seals, crank seals, etc - it just has two more cylinders added to it and a few timing belt and other differences.  since the cylinders/pistons are exactly the same, this should be interesting:

mr.radon bored out his ER27 here:

http://www.subaruxt....t=bore&start=60

finished in 2005 - needed headgaskets by 2013.

google EA82 bore and you'll get more hits here and elsewhere depending what/why you're asking.

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,903 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'm actually about to tear that engine down since I now own it. Has a blown head gasket on #1 and is full of coolant. Hopefully I don't have any pitting in the cylinder but if I do, I will let you know what I end up doing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Boring, Engine, rebuild, EA82, rusty cylinder, machining

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users