Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Engine Rebuild / Boring Discussion

So i have an extra EA82 that has about 90k on it, it was running well until the head gasket went. When i took it apart i noticed one of the cylinders had a pitted rust spot about a quarter of an inch square near the end of the piston stroke. I dont remember it smoking, but it probably was to some extent.

Would it be worth boring and getting enlarged pistons if i could do the boring myself? I'm currently going to school as a machinist and may have the correct machines to do it at home. But ive read that the EA82 is not worth boring for cost reasons.

Has anyone had a bore job done on their EA82? how did it work out for you? Any and all discussion on this topic is welcome and appreciated.

an ER27 6 cylinder XT6 engine is identical to the EA82 - it's the same exact pistons, bearings, rods, valve train, cam seals, crank seals, etc - it just has two more cylinders added to it and a few timing belt and other differences.  since the cylinders/pistons are exactly the same, this should be interesting:

mr.radon bored out his ER27 here:

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3575&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=bore&start=60

finished in 2005 - needed headgaskets by 2013.

google EA82 bore and you'll get more hits here and elsewhere depending what/why you're asking.

• Like 1