Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uh-oh.. I replaced the switch thinking it was ok.. so I had a large deposit at a ATM so I turned off the car, when it was time to leave again I tried to start and it was no go.. I found if I keep pushing and letting the clutch pedal go it will start up.. so now I don't know where to check next?

When it doesn't start do you hear a buzzing sound from under the dash?

Have you made sure the wire connection on the starter is clean?

Does the starter click at all when this happens?

No buzz no clicking at all..

all I hear is just the relays but if I start pumping the clutch it was then soon somehow make a connection and the starter gets power.

Pumping the clutch while still holding the key in start?

That sounds like the interlock relay is bad, and the repeated on/off of the clutch switch finally makes the relay click and start working.

The relay is grounded by the clutch switch. When the key is turned the relay is powered by the ignition switch start position, and the relay delivers the 12v start signal to the starter solenoid.

Also I don't know where the interlock is as well

It's a big brownish/yellow relay with a blue plug.

Remove the 2 screws that hold the under column panel, then remove that........it's right behind that on the left of the column.

Got a test light or voltmeter handy? When it does it see if voltage is getting through the relay. And if voltage is getting to the starter solenoid.

If the relay clicks its at least getting power because the same supply wire feeds both the coil and switch side of the relay. The two are spliced together not far from the relay. It may not be getting enough voltage though. Or the relay contacts could be erroded or pitted and not allowing sufficient current flow to engage the solenoid.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/82501AC030/

Looks like $23 list price. Online dealer pricing anywhere from $16-20.

Still a chance it may not be the relay so I would recommend checking voltage at the relay when it acts up. Relay gets its power through the ignition switch "Start" contact. Poor contact there would cause the same problem.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Still a chance it may not be the relay so I would recommend checking voltage at the relay when it acts up. Relay gets its power through the ignition switch "Start" contact. Poor contact there would cause the same problem.

If the Ig. switch wasn't giving power thorugh it wouldn't click the relay.......power for the realy coil also comes from start signal, grounds through pedal.  If the switch failed the coil would not see + so wouldn't click.

this would be simple to solve with a testlight....or just like I said jumper Blue/red to the Red/yellow and turn the key......if it still doesn't work the relay isn't the issue.

Poor contact at the ignition switch doesn't necessarily mean NO contact. It only takes about 5 volts to make a relay coil click, but that's not nearly enough to make the starter solenoid click.

I agree, quick and dirty test would be to jumper the wires together and should tell you right away if the relay is bad. Checking voltage in and out of the relay will tell you the same thing if there is a substantial difference in voltage. Low voltage going into the relay would suggest the ignition switch rather than the relay.