Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brat Ignition Lock Cylinder Stuck

ea81 ignition lock keys key brat gl

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

The time has finally come for the Ignition Lock to get stuck in my Brat.

It was already in a state where the key could be removed in any position and while driving around.

Currently it is stuck in the Run position, and can start the car, but will not turn back to shut the car off.

Is it possible to remove this lock cylinder?

I have a parts GL Brat with a good lock cylinder in it to swap out if so.

1985 Brat Gl (tilt column steering)

#2 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

As long as both columns are the same as in tilting you are good as gold.

If they aren't both tilt you might be able to dismantle and pull the tumbler out and switch them.

#3 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

But how do I go about taking the cylinder out? On other cars I have removed a keeper screw and had to turn the key a certain way and then pull. But here there is nothing similar to that.
I guess another way is just to swap columns? But that seems like a pain.

#4 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Looking head on at you're ignition switch.

Remove the cover from the barrel. The piece with on/off/acc. stamped on it. easy to do, it's crimped on.

At the 5 o'clock position, on the underside of the barrel should be a retaining pin or tiny screw. The hole may be covered up with a bit of solder but is easy to remove with a bit of digging.

Once that is removed (pin/screw) you should be able to insert your key and slide it out. There may be a square plastic piece on the bottom of the barrel that you will need to slide out. pull it towards you. may also have a half circle plastic retaining ring as well. I'm just going from memory as it's been a few years since I've done this.

Once you get the thing open it really becomes self explanatory. Good Luck!

#5 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Sweet, I wasn't sure if that barrel cover came off or if it was a good idea to remove.
Ill go mess with it now haha.

#6 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

It is a pin that holds the cylinder in, but it wont go in when I push on it.

Does the cylinder have to be turned from the lock position for that pin to be able to retract?

Or is it just being stubborn? The pin is flush with the cylinder, making it unable to be pulled out instead of pushing in.

#7 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

I pulled one apart earlier this summer, I don't remember exactly how it fell apart now.

Seems like it just came apart when the screw was out.

Must be just a pita for you.

#8 Hsoj

Hsoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • seattle wa

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Get a good bit of triflow in that lock first and wiggle that key around, it might just come out easier than you think.  Compressed air might help free some stuff up too. Its easier to replace the whole lock assembly (the column lock and all) than get the cylinder out IMHO. Once you get the whole assembly out you might be able to fix it on the bench too. A good lock shop might be able to help with parts too.

#9 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

I think what looks like the pin being flush is just a bit if solder or something holding the pin in. Try digging at it with something pointy. Once that is removed it should fall right out with a bit of wiggling. That's the way it was on my '85 Brat but I think it was a little screw, not a pin. Again it's been a few years.

#10 unibrook

unibrook

Sube1

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Boston

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Our 1982 GL wagon  163k on her....starts with a paper clip.  Or any key you might like to insert into her.  She will take any tool to get her revving.  She loves it.

#11 SubaruPartsGirl

SubaruPartsGirl

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Annapolis, MD

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

I have a customer with a 1986 Subaru Brat 4WD w/tilt steering. I sold him an ignition lock and switch assembly, part number 783121210. The customer has received the part and has a tech trying to install it. I am being told that there are two missing wires on the new assembly and he believes that their purpose is for the chime. I can't seem to find any other applicable part for this model so I'm not sure if there is an issue with the part itself or possibly improper installation although his tech seems to be pretty familiar with the Brat. The part came as a very fresh and new assembly, didn't appear to have ever been handled or installed before. The customer is on the opposite coast of us so unfortunately it's not a situation where I can see it all layed out for myself. Have any of you experienced anything like this while installing new parts?

If it helps, the tech said that the wires were blue and yellow.

Edited by SubaruPartsGirl, 24 July 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#12 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Are those the missing wires?

#13 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

if it's what I'm thinking of, they should be attached to a black plastic piece with a U shaped piece of copper in it. There is a cut out on the bottom of the barrel that it slides into

#14 SubaruPartsGirl

SubaruPartsGirl

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Annapolis, MD

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Correct, blue and yellow wires on the old one assembly seem to be missing from the new assembly.

#15 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Those wouldn't come with the new assembly. Hope they still have the old ones, If not it won't affect anything. I never hooked mine ('85 Brat) back up as I find door chimes annoying.

#16 SubaruPartsGirl

SubaruPartsGirl

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Annapolis, MD

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thank you for your help! I'm thinking that the part may be incorrect somehow because he tech says that there is a small difference between the two parts that does not allow him to transfer these wires over.

#17 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Blue/yellow wired don't actually plug into the ignition except for the plastic bit sliding on the barrel cut out I mentioned. The other end hooks into a male/female connection under the dash, a little bigger around than a pencil. Wrong part is entirely possible as I've never heard of anyone coming across a NOS switch. his best bet is going to be a used one. There is an '83 wagon being parted out on this board that would work if the wagon has tilt collum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users