Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 D/R GL wagon

BratRod

So my friend just sold his 97 k2500 for a whopping $4700 and wanted something more economical than a 10mpg 3/4.

He digs the simplicity of my Brat, but didn't want another pickup. So when we went to pick up the spare trans that the guy had, my friend was really digging the wagon. This was two weeks ago. 

The wagon is still there and the guy took $600 for it. It runs and drives, but the carb is a nightmare. It doesn't know how to idle cold... But the excess money will take care of that. 

eVv2v5H.jpg

Car is straight as an arrow, and no apparent rust that I can find. Rear struts have springs from an accord I think he said.

Go to pick it up sometime this week.

List of imminent mods:

1. Weber

2. Lift & tires

3. Fix everything else

4. Stereo maybe?

He and I will be working through a scheme that he wants to go through with one day as far as lift and tires go....

I'm excited to build this thing with him. It'll be the only one around.

Oh, same guy who built this car.

10372794_407300909408766_540821846479463

https://www.facebook.com/DallasZombiePatrol

He also ended up with Ricearu's old GL wagon. 

Here's what became of it....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4495113303.html

Went and picked it up Monday... In pouring rain.

qIRqZJ1.jpg

Bumpers look real good. 

tpoxzA2.jpg

uQ6JHjl.jpg

We took a 50 mile journey to the ONLY EA82 that I could find to see if there were any parts that we could use. A 1991 Loyale sedan. Clean 65k mile car, 2wd auto. A shame it was hit. Had all 4 original hubcaps in the back. Not a dent or scratch on the car prior to wreck, it looks like. 

BqiUNPd.jpg

3H8EP11.jpg

We ended up scoring the perfect Headlight, passenger side power mirror, the sensor for the AC compressor, and a Maxima alt for the wagon. I also grabbed the governor from the trans, fusible links, and axle washers. Good score. Sad to see such a nice example in the yard, too. Anyways...

Got the Weber in, and on! 

Ypdt3BE.jpg

Will smolder first (kinda  :P ) and chirp second pretty good. Runs waaay better then the Rochester from the 327. Can you say RICH!?!?

I had to use the throttle that it came with, unfortunately, since there was no carb to steal it from. Still works fine. 

Since I installed the sensor... presumably some type of revolution sensor? The Compressor runs like it should now and the AC bows satisfyingly cold. The interior was being cleaned and we are looking for a few parts before we have it legal. 

Going to order the 4" lift today or tomorrow... and plan on running 27" tires on 14s. Should look pretty good. 

Also saw my first Justy the other day. It was 4wd even!

SGgQY9A.jpg

Going on vacation next week, so all the soobs will remain untouched. And give time for the lift to get here. 

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So a long overdue update is in order... So here's a pic

udeXeaW.jpg 

This was right after the head gasket gave out. It ran suspiciously hot before, I considered the thought of HG failure but it didn't show any normal signs. Other that getting up to the 3/4 mark on the freeway. Slapped new HG on in a day and stabbed the new disty (old one was an EA81 hitachi with an ND gear jerry rigged to work). Now it doesn't dare go above the half-way mark. Surprise.

It's been incident free other than the HG issue. Idk what the mileage count is, but its probably close to 2000 now. Still not lifted. A drift project will soon be in order, so funds are being saved for that. Rims and steel for blocks have been bought, though.

Also yanked the EA81 out of my 85 Brat to re-seal it and add power steering.

KcjlQ3H.jpg  

More on that later...