Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing fuel tank filler neck

I bought a replacement fuel tank filler neck for my 99 OBW. I haven't installed it yet. but will soon.I patched it once, but motor started hesitating and bogging down, particularly when engine is cold. That started happening when the CEL came on. Code read out indiacates evaporative fuel system problem.

My question.........does the leak in the filler neck cause the driveability problems??

Thanks for any replies.

...motor started hesitating and bogging down, particularly when engine is cold.

just out of curiousity, is it also damp/humid when you are having the problem?

my 95 has a similar issue when very damp out (high humidity) & engine is still "cold" - mine tends to throw a misfire code, tho.

I thought I had a leak in the filler neck, but it turns out it is in the tank itself, near the filler neck connection.

either way, it is drawing moisture into the system thru the leak point.

Once up to full operating temp it runs fine, but that first few minutes can be rough...

sounds like a plan.

You may want to soak all the bolts/screws ahead of time with a good penetrating oil - mine had three screws at the cap and 2 small bolts down along the filler tube. all but one of the upper screws came out ok after soaking with PB Blaster. the one screw twisted off - had to hunt down a replacement for it - fairly common one on a Subaru tho, so it wasnt hard.

make sure you keep track of where the evap/vent tubing goes - mine being older only had one tube (vent) so it was very easy.

Edited by heartless

sounds like a plan.

You may want to soak all the bolts/screws ahead of time with a good penetrating oil - mine had three screws at the cap and 2 small bolts down along the filler tube. all but one of the upper screws came out ok after soaking with PB Blaster. the one screw twisted off - had to hunt down a replacement for it - fairly common one on a Subaru tho, so it wasnt hard.

make sure you keep track of where the evap/vent tubing goes - mine being older only had one tube (vent) so it was very easy.

Thanks for the advise, I appreciate it. Rooster2