Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mike's 87 Brat build

mcgarvey2001

Here’s my 87 Brat. It was purchased rust-free in Arizona,
but is starting to get some rust from life here in Montana, time to keep that
at bay and do all the mods I've been planning:

• EJ22T engine from a 94 Legacy    
  • FT4WD D/R transmission with locking center (hybrid XT6 and 5 sp. D/R with helical front diff) 3.9 final ratio, clutch pack rear LSD       
  • Complete XT6 suspension including changeover to struts all around with coilovers built around Audi and Camry struts, 150 lb/in springs.·        
  • 4 inch lift with 3 inch drop blocks
  • 15” wheels (Outback or Forester), 28” AT tires, some fender trimming will happen·        
  • Tube bumpers, roll bar and jump seats
  • New light harness and lights and LED signal lamps
  • XT6 seats
  • new carpeting, sound deadening/sound proofing and stereo

post-26345-0-36886500-1405373524_thumb.jpg

Another angle with most of my Subaru stable; not pictured is an XT6. Yes, I may have a problem.

post-26345-0-63760500-1405374896_thumb.jpg

Edited by mcgarvey2001
  • Like 1

Deconstruction. Most of this along with the motor and transmission will be for sale. In the mean time I wish I had some place to put parts. I have a fair sized two car garage but it's got a lot of camping/backpacking/rafting/kayaking/bicycling/Christmas decorating/miscellany that fills it up.

IMAG0505.jpg

• 2 months later...

post-26345-0-74523900-1411417468_thumb.jpg

Rear cross-member modification.  In the front, offset holes in the lift blocks work as adapters between the XT6 front crossmember and Brat frame rails but in the back it's more complicated as the attachments are completely different and the XT6 cross-member wouldn't fit very easily anyway. So I'm cutting off the old bits.

Edited by mcgarvey2001

Ok subscribed! Nice brat to start with you have a long road of work ahead don't get burned out. This project deserves to be done. I was born and raised in Kalispell (kowsbell is what we always called) but left along time ago. I like the winters in Salmon much better the sun actually shines here in the winter.  I do miss Moose's pizza though.

Born and raised here myself, FHS class of 79. Long road indeed; if I actually knew what I was doing it would be quicker but it takes me a long time to figure out how things are done. This site is amazing though, I just pulled some rear axles in about a fourth the time the book method would take by just lowering the differential (thanks to Miles Fox).

Looking forward to see where you go with this. Seems like you're taking your time and doing everything right, and it looks like you have the skill to back it all up. I love watching these threads progress as they inspire me to one day do something similar for myself.

Best of luck and thank you for sharing all the photographs of your progress!

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...