Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WOW, what a nightmare!!!

Well, after a week of fighting my computer I am finally back on line. After many hours of downloading virus software and patches I find that the problem was not a virus but a constipated computer. It basically was so full of stuff that it just couldn't take it any more. $40.00 and a two hour phone call with Hewlett Packard I am back up and running.

Some things I learned from this experience, Adaware isn't all it's cracked up to be. You do need to do the system utilities from time to time. Actually, a disc clean up at least once a week and a defrag at least once a month. The tech at HP gave me a site called Xcleaner. It cleaned all sorts of stuff that the other programs missed.

So, all is well and I'm back!!

I'm glad to hear you're back up and running. Your withdrawl symptoms were starting to get chronic. Adaware is okay, but Spybot is my preferred garbage eliminator. Some people run both. However, you should still get a router for a hardware firewall. Keep your windows updated as well as your norton antivirus.

Spybot and Adaware are for "spyware" removal...they wont do a darn thing for overloaded temporary internet files or cookies folder.

and neither will running the built in windows utilities for that matter. Altho disk cleanup will remove some stuff, it doesnt clear it all out. The ONLY way to clean out ALL the crud is to go in and do it manually. I ran disk cleanup regularly, thinking this was clearing out the crap...boy was I surprised to find it wanst even getting 1/4 of it! went in and did the job manually and cleared out over 2500 "files" from both my temporary internet files, and the cookies folder.

After that, I fired up the laptop I got from my mom, and cleaned out over 6000 "Files" from it!!!!!!!

If you do go in and clean things out manually, I highly recommend restarting into safe mode, and running scandisk, then defrag.

ps: if you do try to clean out the temporary interent folders manually - DO NOT delete any files called desktop.ini or index.dat!!! you have been warned :cool:

oof any hp systems i work on i dump the peloaded os stuff and go with a fresh install of whatever flavor of windows with a basic windows disc

so no hp propaganda runs much faster and stable

on a side note for spy ware and such

for those of you who have the hp multimedia keyboards...

the driver for those can cause problems

http://techsupport.emily.net/article-hp.issues.htm

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/parseCurl.do?CURL=%2Fcm%2FQuestionAnswer%2F1%2C%2C0x9412543254bfd611abdb0090277a778c%2C00.html&forumId=2&admit=716493758+1084284641296+28353475

good reason i don't own hp computers :)