Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how does this newer gas effect our older engines?

Leaded gas was done away with before 1980. It started in 1976. Not an issue. However, I believe he is referring to methanol. No real effect on vehicles except a very minor decrease in MPG depending on the percentage added. Two strokes don't like methanol at all. A large part of that is methanol is detrimental to most plastics. On two strokes, that's a lot of internal carb parts and fuel lines. No issues with our cars.

Correction: I did mean ethanol. Early morning response and not enough coffee. lol

Edited by skishop69
  • Like 1

I think the OP is referring to Ethanol which is added to most gas now. It decreases mileage by about 2-5 MPG's because the fuel maps in the ECU's run best on straight gasoline. It shows at idle to, if you've ever run ethanol free gas, you'll notice a smoother idle and better acceleration. Our cars just run better with %100 gasoline in everyway!

Leaded fuel was no longer available after 1995.

2 strokes don't mind methanol, but hate ethanol. Newer 2 strokes are designed to run e10 with mix oil.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/117539-ethanol-free-gas/

Josh

Josh

Edited by El Presidente

Since I cant run my saws with the pump gas, how does this effect all our old cars? Do new the gaskets help? This thought makes me depressed.

you realize that thousands and thousands of people have driven old Subaru's as daily drivers for decades?

if you have a carb - that's the problem, not the gas.  carbs have always been problematic, high maintenance junk.  you can't let them sit for long periods of time.

if your car or saw ran every day you'd have very few issues.

to ethanol problems - if the car is going to sit for any length of time then buy non-ethanol gas the last tank, fill it up, treat the gas, empty the carb.

same goes for equipment - most people don't do it though because it's awfully annoying to go into all the detail for...a lawn tractor, weed eater, chains saws, generator...every other piece of carbureted junk in the garage.

Edited by grossgary

I was referring to the E10 gas and the way its needed on the new lawn equipment. Thanks El Pres. Im just wondering if there can be a shorter lifespan for our hoses and gaskets. There is only one place in town that sells 100% gas and you do see a difference in driving it but thats not what I'm really concerned with. I know no engine was designed to run ethanol before 95. Now with the flex fuel cars being designed to run 15% or more ethanol and I hear that stuff can damage and foul pre 95 cars, I'm just asking about our newer gaskets and stuff and how they will be affected.

My new chainsaw was ran for 2 years. I let my dad borrow it and run it for a year. He used regular pump gas and standard oil mix. It fouled on him and he took it to the shop. The guy showed him the parts on it fully corroded and said, "Go buy a new saw." So I got a new Stihl. These things are concerning!

doesn't matter for Subarus, just drive it like the 10's of thousands of others that have been for decades.  i have 180,000 mile 1988 XT6 as a daily driver, and have had an XT (or more) since 1993.  no big deal.

my experience is the same as your dads though. chain saws, boats, tractors and other equipment - same experience.  lesser grade materials.  and carbs sucks.

as an example, if you buy aftermarket CV boots - they only last 2-4 years.  Subaru boots last much longer, Subaru uses better materials.

if you're going to let it sit for awhile then i'm less familiar with the intricacies of ethanol, but you'd want to probably take some precautions.

yes - ask the boat/marina/outdoor power equipment people, they always know where it is.

it depends - some places it's readily available and others it is not.  it's nearly non-existent state wide in WV.  there are pockets here and there and lake side marinas...but you're generally paying a serious premium for it at those seasonal type places.

Thanks, I just don't want to have to be doing head gaskets every few years like my cv boots.

i don't think it will or does affect headgaskets.  fuel never touches them directly.

The fuel doesn't really have an effect on these engines however there is a noticeable power and exhaust note difference between running the regular blend E10 and nonethanol premium. Every once and awhile I will fill my XT6 with the nonethanol stuff and I can tell a difference in how smooth it idles, better throttle response, and a different note from the exhaust. I would let you know what my mileage would be if I could keep my foot out of it...

Edited by Caboobaroo

Side note for reference, older Subarus were designed to handle e10 just fine. It specifies it in my 1986 XT's manual.

So while the mapping may not be the best for the fuel, they are designed to run it just fine.

Twitch

Your right, my buddies xt FSM says the same thing.

Josh

it kills gaskets quicker, dries out rubber lines quicker, wears down moving parts more quickly than gasoline, wears away valves and can damage rings, you get worse mpg, less efficient detonation, etc etc

corn gas is a joke.  just like makers mark cuts their whiskey with water.

it kills gaskets quicker, dries out rubber lines quicker, wears down moving parts more quickly than gasoline, wears away valves and can damage rings, you get worse mpg, less efficient detonation, etc etc

corn gas is a joke.  just like makers mark cuts their whiskey with water.

Please elaborate and tell us where your getting your info. Ethanol burns cooler than gasoline and isn't reactive to commonly used metals, so how does it cause excessive wear to moving parts? How does it cause valve wear and ring damage?

I hate ethanol, but we need to keep facts straight. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Josh

Leaded gas was done away with before 1980. It started in 1976. Not an issue. However, I believe he is referring to methanol. No real effect on vehicles except a very minor decrease in MPG depending on the percentage added. Two strokes don't like methanol at all. A large part of that is methanol is detrimental to most plastics. On two strokes, that's a lot of internal carb parts and fuel lines. No issues with our cars.

Correction: I did mean ethanol. Early morning response and not enough coffee. lol

Not trying to be a butt but...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol. Time for me to top off my own tank  :drunk: