Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82T head gaskets

can any one tell me what gasket is the best for my motor

i plan to take a carbed ea82 block and put my MPFI heads with turbo

yes i do no that compression is higher and that is why i would like to know what is the best head gaskets to get 

For mine i used stone gaskets. I am also running a n/a block as an ea82t, but also have different pistons but my compression is still more that factory turbo blocks. All gaskets require a re torque as far as i know. Except the permatorque gaskets. IMHO i would still re torque them, but many have had no problems not doing so.

I've ordered several sets of permatorque (9392PT) and received totally different gaskets even with the same order. Some are crap.. The good ones are the ones that have the fuji stamp and a bead of viton(?).

Personally tho, I think the OEM gasket is the best off the shelf gasket.

Both of these are felpro 9392PT: (left being the preferred revision)

IMG_1157.jpg

OEM gasket, for reference:
IMG_1181.jpg

I've used several brands and find the genuines are worth the extra you might pay. On retorque after first warm up cool down - they have never taken any more ft lbs. Just look and feel like quality too! There are many that say one torque type gaskets still need to be retorqued - heard this from a 50 year machine shop veteran too ! I skimped on genuine with recent EA81 and used Japanese sourced Payen by Federal Mogul and the retension was surprisingly much the same as genuines on recheck. Never loosen headbolts off and oil threads as factory manuals say - is what my veteran tells me - asks to fail. I am currently running carb EA82 with turbo heads , cams and inlet tract - intending to try turbo one day but hear from trusted source that high comp an turbo boxer is not for longevity :(