Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Permatex Ultra Grey on water pumps?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

Can I use permatex ultra gray on the water pump gasket? Any reason i should not use it there?

#2 mm88swrt

mm88swrt

oddball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • clatskanie, OR

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

Ive used it there with no issues. Matter of fact thats what seals everything on my motor, minus factory gaskets. No leaks at all!!!

#3 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

I've used it, also the VersaChem Mega Grey Version; Both with Great Results.

Kind Regards.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,685 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

Ultru Grey FTW. never use anything else, at least on everythign else beside the water pump. Grey is my preferred flabvor and has never failed me.

#5 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

+1 Ultra grey is actually the factory equivalant of what manufacturers use to seal components with no gaskets. Though I prefer using no sealant on any gaskets except cork. Just makes taking stuff apart and clean up that much more of a pain.

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,816 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Ultra Grey is OK.   But the best sealant made by Permatex is "the Right Stuff"  

"The RIght Stuff" is superior.....and only slighy more expensive.  I swear by it now.....never will use anything else.

Cures faster....bonds tighter......stays flexible and rubbery......but cleans off easily by simply rubbing....

Amazing tensile strength.....But no resistance to lateral force(friction) so just rub off.

#7 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Don't forget to put a dab of sealant over the hole in the top of the water pump housing.  It will make your water pump last longer.  Much longer.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,816 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Don't forget to put a dab of sealant over the hole in the top of the water pump housing.  It will make your water pump last longer.  Much longer.

In 20 years of Mechanic work....you are the only person who I've ever heard say to do this.

Bad advice......that hole is there to allow expansion from heat in the space between the bearing and the shaft seal.

#9 BirdMobile

BirdMobile

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hello!
When I sealed my water pump on my recently finished EA-82 rebuild, I used Permatex Anaerobic sealant instead of a gasket or RTV. So far, after about 3 weeks of running, it's held up fine with no leaks. I don't know if this is a "recommended" sealant for EA-82 water pumps, but it seems to work fine (so far...) on mine.
I used Ultra Gray on my oil pan, covered both sides of an OEM cork gasket with a thin layer then let it dry before using it. No leaks there (yet...) either.
Regards

Edited by BirdMobile, 16 July 2014 - 03:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users