Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why Hitachis SUCK EGGS (or why I should have rebuilt my carb!)

So I'm on my way to my girlfriends house today in the 85 wagon, basically giving it a road test before I trade it off for the XT. Fuel light comes on on my way over so I figure I'll stop at the Arco station and get some fuel before I go to her house since the bung munch at the Chevron wasn't interested in serving me.

Anyhoo as I am rolling up to the gas station it sputters and dies, I Think nothing of it, figuring it was out of gas, since it's fuel light doesn't last as long as the one in the turbowagon. Get my gas, fires right up, drive out to the exit and it dies. Won't restart. Helpful cop helps me push it back into the gas statioin lot so I'm not blocking traffic. Pop the hood, take the air cleaner off and try starting it. Fuel starts pouring out of the carburetor. Great... So I pop the top off and take the float valve out, and wash it off in the bowl, stick it back in, shook the float to make sure it wasn't full of fuel (it wasn't).. Notice bowl is full of gunk..

So now I get to rebuild the carb like I should have when I had it off before... Oh well live and learn.. No I'm not gonna weberize it cuz I dont' have a spare Weber...

Anything in particular I should pay attention to when I'm rebuilding the carb?

Most important thing is to remove the jets (under the float bowl), and make sure there is nothing in the float bowl itself to mess up the spray pattern of the jets. As you have noticed, gunk likes to sit right in that spot. I'm really at a loss as to why Hitachi didn't put a screen of some sort down there to catch at least the big stuff.

GD

Well, I have a feeling that the fuel filter in this car has been neglected... And, at least in the EA81 carb I took apart, there was a screen in the supply line behind the nipple the fuel hose attaches to.. I had to take that out and soak it in chem-dip to get the gunk out of it.

Trust me, this carb is getting soaked in chem-dip for like, a week lol, it;s gonna look liek brand new :-) And this thing BETTER run like a champ when I get done with it! (And get better than 18MPG..)

I have to agree with Archemitis. My 86 Brat has 174K on it with the original carb. Have never had a problem with the carb. That is one of the reasons I have hesitated putting on a Weber. Hope I didn't just jinx it.