Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory fill oil EA81, EA82

Mike Cutrano at the fabled 'Subaru Heaven" salvage yard had told me before he swears by straight 30 oil. I Took his word for it. But nowadays, with synthetic oil and becoming knowledgeable from being in the oil change industry, I am Believing in 40 wt for multi-viscosity oils.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Coxy, as you information correletes with 'energy conserving' oil and the use of 5w30 in later engines. In your opinion, should 5w30 be continued, or moved to a heavier weight for the low tension rings pack engines?

Experience with Lexus Lexi? (plural) shows that the light 0W20 they run causes big drama's around the 100 thousand mark (Kilometers) or about 60,000 Miles with Oil leaks from everywhere requiring resealing so I would likely go up to a 10W40 oil for much of the US in summer and maybe a 5W 40 in winter after say 40 to 50,000.

But more relevant to Subaru's is my time also spent on BMW Boxer Engines they were notorious Oil users with certain Oils and the problem there was BMW Owners had the attitude of never doing any mechanical checks just Factory by the book servicing,Some Oils they would use 2 lites in 10,000 Kilometers half the capacity of the Engine, But going from say Castrol to Mobil and from Semi Synthetic in the Castrol to a Full Mineral in the Mobil both being a 20W50 spec the change to Mobil Mineral fully stopped Oil useage down to a maximum of at the most 100 mls instead of 2 litres.and that was consistent on a number of Engines and different Riders and Riding styles over maybe 20 Bikes at the time.

My ej25d so far has consumed half a quart of 0w40 in 500 miles. I replaced the PCV. will monitor from there. (the sump has a dent, so my overall capacity ois short by about .2 qt. I believe the rear baffle plate is leaking as well. No frontend leaks at all.

We got a customer to switch to 0w40 in a 2005-2008 impreza. I told her to come to this dealer meet next month, and i would be checking her oil if she showed there!

Edited by MilesFox

• 4 months later...