Ultimate Subaru Message Board

warning lights stay on

Hi, my name is John and I am new to USMB. I have a 1986 GL that runs great and still looks great. Recently, 3 warning lights stay on after I start the car: the charge light, the stop lamp light, and the brake fluid light. My Subaru dealer checked some things that might cause those lights to stay on and couldn't find a problem. The tool needed to scan for the diagnostic codes is no longer available. Would anyone have a suggestion for solving this mystery? I suppose I could just keep driving the car until whatever the problem is becomes apparent. My Subaru is trying to tell me something. It would sure be nice find out what it is. Thanks in advance for any response.

Your dealer is a total idiot.Tell them so.Demand your money back!

You don`t need a special tool to read trouble codes and that is not your problem anyway.

Those lights come on w/a diode goes bad in the alternator.

You need a new alternator.

Confirm this diagnosis yourself by putting an AC voltmeter across the battery,loading the charging circuit by turning on the headlights and heater fan and revving the motor to 2000 rpm or so.

AC voltage should remain under 0.5 volts.Anything higher = bad diodes.

You want to fix that ASAP.

Good luck.

• Like 1

86 carbed car Has no "diagnostic scan" capability.....never did.......Carbed with no ECU.....

This is a simple alternator issue.

All warning lights come on with the "charge" light  (just like Key on/Eng off)

Check your Alternator belt hasn't come off.....If you don't have Power steering you wouldn't notice otherwise without looking.  If the belt is there....then the ALT is going out or maybe just became unplugged?

• 2 weeks later...

A big thank you to all who replied.  It was indeed the alternator that was not working properly.

A new alternator was installed and that solved the warning lights mystery.

Many thanks again.

• Like 1