Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a push button shifter work with a dual range transmission

I've got a line on a 5spd dual range transmission from a GL to swap into my my 5 speed loyale. The new tranny doesn't have a gear shifter bu does have the dual range shifter. Could I use the push button shifter on the dual range tranny? Obviously the push button doesn't work.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. The new tranny has the hi lo shifter but no 5 speed gear shifter. Will my current gear shifter that has the push button on it work with the new tranny and the hi lo shifter? Sorry I don't know the proper terms. I'm jut concerned about the stick shift not the dual range levers.

I just meant that you might have to get creative with the shifter boot or the surrounding plastic. Even so you should be able to make it look sweet. Lots of us have extra parts too. Give a holler if you need the correct shifter and I'm sure someone will even have the proper color. This place is AWESOME like that.

• 2 years later...

The EA82 dual range lever is bolted to the rear of teh 5-spd shfter plate.  Uses the same two holes that hold the rear mounting/isolator.

One could install the entire D/R shifter to a single range shifter.  Literally nothing is different other than the stick has a button. (shift knob held by roll pin, rather than threads)

Parts needed:

D/R lever/pivoting assembly.

Rubber floor boot from EA82 D/R

Shaft to connect D/R lever to the D/R input of trans.

• Like 1